New to performing my own Routine-Maintenance of Vehicle

IF . . you’re going to change your own oil .
Have a place and a means to transport the old oil.
Usually the parts house you get the new oil from will accept your used oil. I know Auto Zone does here. Plus , here at my ford dealer, we’ll take anyone’s used oil .

1 Like

I usually put my old oil in the containers that previously held new oil. That way I can often drop them off without having to pour them out.

When I changed my snowblower’s oil, because it takes only 17 ounces of oil, I couldn’t use the new oil container. I was stumped as to what I could drain the old oil into, until I remembered that I had an empty 1.75 liter Scotch bottle in my recycling container. So, I drained the old oil into that bottle, and I am saving it for future snowblower oil changes as well.

And, before you ask–YES–I did place a large label on two sides of that old Scotch bottle, reading “Used Motor Oil”.

2 Likes

In a pinch I’ve used an empty gallon plastic milk jug, but usually I can find an empty bottle of windshield washer fluid before it comes to that. However, since I always seem to drain less oil than I pour into the engine, I have an abundance of containers handy.