New tires

I purchased new tires for my Nissan Murano in April of this year. I bought Goodrich longtrails as my research showed they were recommended. As soon as I drove it there was a vibration in the wheel so I took it back to have the tires re-balanced. When I picked it up it was clear that the new balance had helped but they had warped my front rotors and now I had a vibration in my brakes. I took it to a difference service person who changed my rotors and re-balanced my tires. Now my brakes work well but I still have a bad vibration in the steering wheel between 60-80 miles per hour. Is balancing tires really that difficult or is there something else that could be causing this vibration?

You could have a bad tire. Try rotating the tires from front to back and see if the problem is the same. A wheel can be balanced correctly, but still cause vibration.

Look at the balancing weights. If one wheel has a much larger weight on it than the others, I would suspect that tire, first.

A tire shop that warps your rotors is not a good tire shop.

New tires, properly balanced, should not vibrate.

I, too, think you may have a faulty tire. It happens now and then.

You didn’t mention wheel alignment. Did you have the wheels aligned when the tires were installed?

There is another property of tires called uniformity - think “out of round” and you’ll be close. A tire (and wheel) can be perfectly balanced and still be “out of round”.

One other possibility, you could have an out of round rim. This is not from your driving, but carelessness with the tire mounting equipment can lead to a bent rim. Have the wheels inspected by an independent mechanic and document if a rim is bent. Take pictures if any damage is visible from the equipment.

I agree with others that you may have a defective tire. Find a shop that does “road force balancing” and have them check the wheels. If you do have a defective tire, take the report to the shop where you bought the tires and have them replace it. These machines spin balance the tires with a simulated road force applied, using a spinning drum pressed against the tire. They’ll detect internal defects and out of round (or coaxiality) problems that regular spin balancers cannot.