New Tires for an 05 Acura RSX

I have a 2005 Acura RSX, it’s the base model not the Type S. I bought the car new in 04 and have never put new tires on it. I had a mechanic tell me a couple of months ago I would need new tires soon. I basically only drive the car on the weekends, since i use public transportation to commute to work. I don’t need anything high performance, just something that will do well in the rain and occasional snow and ice that we get here in Louisville Ky. Does anyone have any advice about what tires I should get?

thanks!

A set of BF Goodrich Traction, or Touring T/A tires are a good value, and available at Costco

Suggest you look at tirerack.com and check out warranty & reviews for the tires there. This is a good information resource even if you don’t purchase from them.

Some tire service centers will not install any size tire or its speed rating other than what’s specified by the vehicle manufacturer. This information is located on the placard located on the drivers side door jamb where the tire pressures are specified. And this is done for liabilty reasons. So all you can do is find the cheapest tire that meets the specs for the vehicle.

Tester

Tire Rack is a good site to do some research. Enter the make, model, and year or the tire size for a list of tires to fit your Acura.

www.tirerack.com

I’m leaning toward Yokahamas for my wife’s 2006 Sienna when the time comes.

Ed B.

I agree with Americar’s recommendation.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT buy Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 tires. They are USELESS on wintery road surfaces, and are not particularly good on wet roads either.

You pay a bit more for Michelin but these tires are really good for what you describe:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Some tire service centers will not install any size tire or its speed rating other than what’s specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

The places I’ve seen that are like this are usually the big chains. Most of them really don’t know much about tires or cars. They make these requirements to make sure no one screws up and they get sued.

You pay a bit more for Michelin but these tires are really good for what you describe:

I think Michelin has priced themselves out of competition. I started buying Coopers that are almost as good, but cost about 25% less. Been very happy with them…Last 3 sets of Coopers I’ved owned lasted about 55k and were GREAT right up to when I replaced them.

Tirerack.com and I used to use Michelins but got great performance out of Yoko’s but they have several models too.