New tire equal 30% drop in milage

Was the new vs old tire size ever mentioned?

And how much difference does temperature make in the volume of fuel? If fuel is pumped out of the ground at a temperature of 65F and into a tank with the ambient temperature <0F how much will it contract? And how does the fuel mileage computer deal with that situation?

All I know is that unless someone actually keeps track of their miles per gallon or the measurement of their region fuel used is a guess. In our normal driving routine we get any where from 17 to 22. All effected by how many short trips, highway travel or even catching every red light going to Wally World. We drove the Natchez trail south in ideal weather at 40 MPH and got 30.2.
It is very possible the OP’s fuel usage has increased but I just don’t think they really know the amount.

I used to reset my trip computer mid trip. Instant mpg is 26 mpg. Everytime I did it it would always go back to 26 mpg. Got tires that were 5% smaller and mileage went to 30 mpg. Or a 15% increase? I did not recalibrate speedo. But, I was assuming a 5% difference in mileage. Maybe new tires are 25.44" tall and old tires were 25.12 when worn?

1 Like

I was thoroughly confused by 8.4l/km (8.4 liters per kilometer?). That would be worse fuel mileage than a WW2 Sherman tank which was about 2 gallons per mile. 8.4l/100km is much more reasonable. The seller’s fantasy of 50 mpg sounds like the mystery car could be an early Toyota Prius. I knew a couple of people who were expecting Toyota’s 50 mpg claim and were very disappointed when they were lucky to get 40 mpg.

I agree

Those early Priuses . . . 2001, give or take a year, I believe . . . got very good fuel economy for the time, but nowhere near what the current Prius can achieve