New timing belt?

I just bought a 93 ford e350 15 pass wagon. The previous owner didn’t keep any maintenance records. I changed the oil, plugs, wires, and flushed the cooling system (all of which we deperately needed) and now it runs great. I play in a band though, and this van is about to see a lot of miles coming up.

It has 150K miles, and was used to haul a trailer for a guy that ran disc golf tournaments.

My question is-Should I get the timing belt replaced? I feel like it had to be done already since the van is older and has more than 100k on it.

Also, anything else I should check/repair before I take it around the country?

The brakes are excellent, as are the tires, steering, and cooling system and electrical.

Thanks!

This van should have a timing chain, not a belt. Continue to drive it until you hear timing chain clatter or other strange noises.

Good luck and motor on. These are fairly durable vehicles.

You may want to change out all the fluids and filters at this point and establish a new maintenance baseline for the future, if you don’t have maintenance records or any history. This would include changing ATF filter and a pan drop.

You should replace the timing belt, water pump, the thermostat and hoses and belts. You are at least coming due for the timing belt even if it was replaced once, and way overdue if it was never replaced. Since you “desperately needed” basic maintenance items such as an oil change and plugs and wires, I think you can safely assume that the more expensive work was never done either, including the timing belt.
The other parts I’ve listed, aside from the timing belt, are opportunity changes that might as well be changed in the process of changing the timing belt, since they are involved in the change and everything is right there. Everything I’ve listed could cost as much as $1,000, but should be more like $750 tops.
Otherwise, you have covered everything important except maybe the transmission and differential fluids. You definitely should check the transmission fluid (hot, with the car running) to make sure it is full and to make sure that the fluid is clear and pink, and has no smell. The differential fluid probably is fine, but purists would insist that it needs to be changed regularly. I’ve driven cars into the dust well over 350,00 miles and have never changed the differential fluid in any car I’ve ever owned.

Thanks! I just learned from my local shop that indeed it doesn’t have a timing belt, and that the chain should be fine for the life of the engine in most cases. They did suggest that I get the transmission fluid changed as well as the atf filter. Good info guys, much appreciated : )

You should also get a AAA card, just in case, and a cell phone if you don’t own one.

I had a hard time finding out if your van has a chain or a belt, but I agree with jayhawkroy that a chain makes more sense for your engine and year. But a chain should be changed regularly as well, just not as often. Check your owner’s manual for what the part is and how often it should be replaced. And even if you have a chain, you should at least make sure about the belts and hoses.

Well, I am quite sure it has a timing chain and it should last the life of the engine.

A '93 E-350 most likely has a 351W or 460. Both are old, archaic, bulletproof motors with a chain driven camshaft and pushrods. No timing belts there! Can anyone name a one ton truck that uses a timing belt???

No timing belt, but I would change the accessory belts, radiator hoses and thermostat.