New timing belt needed?

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey minivan. It has a little over 90,000 miles on it. Do I need to replace the timing belt at this time? If so, how much will it cost?

For the answer to your first question, open the glove compartment, take out the Owner’s Manual, and consult the section labeled “Maintenance Schedule”. Note that there is a mileage value and also an elapsed time value for the timing belt change.

My best guess is that an 8 year old vehicle is due (or overdue) for this maintenance regardless of odometer mileage, and in case you were not aware of it, when a timing belt breaks, major engine damage results.

But, rather than accept my guess as to when this service is due, you really need to consult the ultimate authority that is sitting in your glove compartment. Those who do not adhere to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule invariably wind up spending far, far more on repairs than maintenance would have cost.

As to your second question, I would suggest that you call the dealership and a few trusted independent mechanics in order to get a quote for the replacement of the timing belt as well as the replacement of the water pump. You may well find that the dealership’s price is competitive with independent garages, but only a comparison will give you reality on this. Whatever you do, avoid going to any chain operations (Sears, Midas, Meineke, Monro, etc.) for this service, as their expertise is usually very limited.

To quote the old Chinese proverb, “If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.” I have just taught you how to effectively maintain your car. All you have to do is to utilize the resources that you already have at your disposal.

Yes its due by time and do soon. I believe it runs $600-$800 dependent on your locale and prudent extras like water pump and other belts.

Check out your owner’s manual, it will tell you precisely when everything needs to be done.

The owner’s manual is not the ultimate authority. Due to marketing and political pressure, many manufacturers are deleting from the manual many things normally regarded as important, such as Tranny fluid change, antifreeze change, and timing belt change.

Gets difficult. You have to look at the owner’s manual, but know enough that things may be missing, and consult other sources for info on them.

Timing belt change time (by time) is 105k miles and it is also an interference engine.

The vehicle was probably manufactured in 1999. This means the original belt is 8 and 1/2 years old and is an accident waiting to happen.
Replacement costs will vary depending on the shop, locale, etc.

Nope. Its eight years as they list months in the manual beyond mileage. whichever first.

Could you show me the vehicle that doesn’t show what the interval change is for things like a Timing belt or Antifreeze. If the car has a Timing Chain I can understand this because there is no interval. Some newer cars are now using the WD type tranny fluid which doesn’t require a interval change for the life of the car. So which manufacturers are NOT supplying this information in the owners manual??? And what do you mean by political pressure?? What does politics have to do with anything??