New Subaru giving trouble within 2 hours of buying

Thank you kindly

We bought a new car in another city, had a check engine light. Took it to a local dealer who reset the light and wanted to do tire rotation oil change etc to the tune of $125 for a car with 1500 miles. I declined, not long afterward the light came on again, took it to the original dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad pump for the fuel system pressure check, replaced it and all was fine, and no suggestions of a $125 additional work not needed.

I think of a doctor that may be really skilled, but a poor bedside manor, I would prefer the most skilled with poor bedside manor vs a md poorly skilled with great bedside manor.
I think you are panicking prematurely, you have a warranty, they have ordered the replacement part, given you a loaner car and now you want to sue for lemon law? Give me a break.

I love these Subaru threads, all 30,000 of them…

There’s always something to like about Subarus.

And only a fraction of what rolls through the service dept. doors…

With tongue in cheek, a verse of a little ditty that some used to hum in the shop…

Subaru, Oh Subaru
Made of solid tin
The owner drove it off
Now the hook is towin’ it in. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, Subarus are decent cars. They’re just not as infallible as many perceive them to be.
My all time biggest gripe is not with the cars themselves so much; it’s with SOA.

SOA? In my world that is Service Oriented Architecture. "(SOA) is a flexible set of design principles used during the phases of systems development and integration in computing. A system based on a SOA will package functionality as a suite of interoperable services that can be used within multiple separate systems from several business domains."
What does it mean to you?

SOA is Subaru of America, the corporate overlord of all Subaru dealers. This was mentioned by the OP in the original post.

I’ve been having a similar issue with my 2010 Subaru Impreza…bought it at the end of October and a couple weeks ago, the tachometer spiked as I was trying to accelerate (it wouldn’t accelerate) and all those lights came on…were you having issues accelerating as well? Or did the lights all just came on for really no reason?

I wasn’t accelerating. I don’t think the tachometer spiked. If it did I didn’t notice it. It seemed like the lights came on for no reason.

"Its a lemon. Dump it"

This kind of opinion is not very well thought out, based on reality, or helpful to the owner.

CSA

Is that even in English?

The timing for this problem couldn’t have been any better/worse if it were the subject of a television sit-com. Arimanar is without reliable transportation for the holidays while in possession of a brand new icon of automotive integrity and the dealer is facing an unhappy customer as they rush to get out and lock their doors for the holiday weekend. If they furnished a free rental until all can be sorted out they have done all that can be expected.

When I had a difficulty with a “new” car I wrote myself a log of each incident and what was said to me by each individual in the chain. My experience went on for 31 days and numerous phone calls and individuals. At one point I asked the service writer to do a vehicle repair history for me, this showed that the dealership where the car had come from (color & features issues) had also attempted repairs. When I went through Lemon Law Proceedings, I was easily able to list the condition/situations I had satisfied, the sequence of the events with specific details which made my case almost a “no brainer” for the arbitrator to decide in my favor. The replacement car performs exactly as it should and I feel my efforts were well worth the time and energy.

From your description of the trouble it sounds to me that some of the diodes in the alternator failed and allowed AC voltage to get into the electrical system. That could cause the action you saw with the warning lights. Do you know what parts were ordered? If it is an alternator problem it shouldn’t be hard to replace it and solve the trouble.

when a check engine light comes on, the computer have detected a problem and usally will set a trouble in its memory! on the first visit the tech should retrieve the trouble code or codes and perform a diagnostic check to confirm a fault. if there are multiple faults, then each fault should be check! when the problem reaccured, and you have to return to the dealer it is consider a repeater! another repair order should be generated with detailed information of the problem! repair orders is required prior to any repairs reguardless of warrenty or not! as for the rundness it is nonprofessional and should be reported!

before you pick up the car you should recieve a work order detailing the repairs performed on the car. if not, request a full detailed itemized description of all repairs done!

log on to subaru.com and create an account. there is some good reading material and info.

Caddyman will never learn.

Something similar happened to me once when I bought my Impreza (brand new) once. I was about to start the car a couple of days after I bought it, but nothing happened, and almost all dashboard indicators lit up. I called the dealership and they asked me to bring it in if it happens again - and it never happened after that.

I am not impressed about the local Subaru dealership’s service either. Whenever I take the car from them (after an oil change, etc.) I need to clean the car to remove grease smudges, etc. Once they tried to charge me for a warranty repair. Now I take my Subaru to Hyundai dealership :slight_smile:

bump

^^^^^

Yeah, it wouild be nice to know what happened - after all, the car was delivered on Dec 20. Surely something has happened.