New rotors for Accord after 22,000 miles?

My 2005 Accord had new rear rotors, calipers and pads at 35,000 miles 2.5 years ago. Now, at inspection (it passed), I’m told rear rotors are “really rotted” and need to be replaced - car has 57,000 miles. Car is driven daily, city/rural driving.

Does this sound legit??? I am taking it to another place I (think I) trust more tomorrow for a second opinion/quote. Thank you.

Get the 2nd opinion for sure. It could be your driving. If both sides are at the same level, then less likely to be a malfunction (ie stuck caliper). I know that for your generation of Accords, there have been some complaints on the net about premature brake wear. Could check the edmunds.com forum. Some think that the size of the rotors don’t match the load.

Have someone else take a look at the rotors. Where do you live and drive? Lots of salt on the roads in the winter?

I live west of Boston, so salt could be a factor, true. I will check out Edmunds. We’ll see what the 2nd garage says; I’ll post an update. Thanks for the replies!

Rotted rotors? What does that even mean?
Unless whomever did your brakes hosed the job up, it is hard to believe you already need rotors.

I know, right? The place I’m taking it to tomorrow is the place that I had the rotors done in 2010. I’m bringing my paperwork (receipts, etc.)… I am hoping that the “rotted rotor” people (who are not my usual mechanics - I was visiting family out-of-town) are the ones who are trying to rip me off because I generally trust my regular folks. I will be disappointed (understatement) if I find out they did a bad job :frowning: Thanks.

Take it for a second opinion, but I personally have seen rotors so badly rotted in the cooling vanes that they were no longer servicable. The vehicle in my case belonged to a friend who had parked it in damp woods under pine trees for some months. It remains the single most corroded set of rotors I’ve ever seen.

Yes, in New England they really do “rot” that fast. They’re cheap cheap cheap anyway so don’t sweat it. I just bought a new box of two for a 2009 Accord for $69. In my experience, the aftermarket rotors are nearly always superior in longevity to OEM…more Chrome in the cast iron mix resulting in far slower rusting.

I don’t doubt that winter driving here in Maine and the rest of NE does "wonders " on the braking components. It’s also a built in scare issue for drivers as it affects stopping and a huge money maker for dealers and others who use this issue to exchange parts for huge prices instead of turning rotors with just new pads. As “Kawasaga” observes, brake parts can easily be made to last longer for little additional cost…but why bother. There’s money to be made and cars like Honda and Toyota with their deserved reputation for longevity, still find a way to soak you for needed repairs.

I’ve NEVER EVER seen rotors RUST out. Lived in the North East most of my life.

A lot depends on how you drive. If you rush red lights and jam on the brakes, of course you are going to wear them out quickly. Watch how you drive. If your foot is on the brake as much is it is on the accelerator, change your habits. You will get where you are going just as quickly.

“In my experience, the aftermarket rotors are nearly always superior in longevity to OEM”

I generally buy OEM parts for my cars, just removes a lot of uncertainty.
For years and years I had problems with OEM rotors on my '81, '85 and 1988 Accords.
New rotors would warp after a couple thousand miles and I’d get them turned by a friend at the dealership.
Then they’d last 10-20K miles and warp again. Turn 'em again, drive another 20K and replace because they’re too thin to turn.
This was with 3 different cars, mind you.
My mechanic buddy admitted they saw a steady stream of Hondas with warped rotors.

I finally, finally put a pair of mid-priced rotors on the '88 Accord.
Drove it 30K with no warpage before I sold it to a friend.
AFAIK they’ve gone another 30K with no problem.

I’ve NEVER worn out my brake pads. I’ve ALWAYS replace my pads and rotors due to rust. I live in NH. I was a MASTER ASE car and heavy truck mechanic for 10 years and have seen MORE rust replacements than wear replacements. BTW, pulsing brakes are MOST OFTEN caused by rust, NOT WARPAGE!. Anyhow, I hope the capitalization helps provide a synopsis of my EXTENSIVE experience :).

Ironically, Mike, the ones I’m thinking of resided in Salem!

I live near Salem.

Parking a vehicle in the woods for years and years is different then driving a vehicle at least once a week. Leave a vehicle parked in the woods…it’ll eventually rust completely away.