New original brake caliper too big?

Hello,

I changed my front brake pads and rotors on both sides and brake caliper on the left side today.
But now the wheel on the left wont fit. The new brake caliper, which is an original part and looks exactly like the old one, seems to be too big. I was able to put the wheel on, but it is completely impossible to drive. The caliper grinds on the wheel.
The wheels are original Subaru 15’’ alu wheels and I have the same problem with my 15’’ winter steelies.

The car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon, 125 hp.

Thanks for all help in advance!

Ps: picture attached is the new caliper.

You have the wrong caliper, your pad is sticking out way past the rotor… Or it is the wrong caliper bracket (or both), I would try your old bracket and see if it helps…
I am also seeing a pro date split…

3 Likes

The caliper and bracket is clearly oversized for the rotor.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies!
I will try the old bracket (if I can get out the seized gliding-bolt).

@davesmopa: what is a pro date split?

Set them side by side and compare the 2, most likely the caliper/bracket are both wrong, I have seen brackets be off, but most of the time it is both…

Production Date… I think it is different before or after 09/02 (September 2002)…
Or you bought the caliper for a turbo…

I bet if you take the new brake pad (from the caliper) and put it up against the old pad you will see the difference in overall size…

Ok. Yea, that may be. Had the same with finding the correct gliding bolts.
Thank you!

1 Like

Surf over to rockauto for the whole list of calipers they offer that fit your vehicle. Look carefully at the descriptions’ wording, some may say they only fit certain configurations, or certain VIN numbers. Are the pads new too? If so, and you think the caliper is the same size as the old one, consider what DMP says above, the pads are different. So likewise, see what rockauto has to say about brake pads for your vehicle.

Actually it was only the bracket that was too big. I was able to use the old one with the new caliper.

But now I have another problem. On the rear right wheel I broke off the bolt in the bracket and can´t get it out.
I’m trying to find a replacement. Does anyone know from which other Subaru models the rear brackets should be the same as on my Impreza? (as a new part it is all sold out everywhere, so i’m trying my luck with car brakers).
Thanks!

1 Like

Check online car parts stores and search for brakes parts that fit your Impreza. The data for your praise should show which other models they are used on.

I went with the 2.0 DOHC since you didn’t say what engine you have other than 125HP…

This is from Napa and interchange for your right rear brake caliper… Hope it helps…
Buyers Guide
Make Model Engine Year(s)
Subaru Forester 1998 - 2003
Subaru Impreza 1999 - 2003

@davesmopar, if that is supposed to be a link it didn’t come through properly.

This is all it was, just showing:

Buyers Guide (parts interchange)
Make Model Engine Year(s)
Subaru Forester 1998 - 2003
Subaru Impreza 1999 - 2003

It’s from Napa pro link, it’s mainly for pro shops… so no link…

1 Like

If you can’t source an affordable replacement bracket, take the existing one to a machine shop, seems a pretty good chance they could fix the broken-off bolt problem.