2007 Subaru Impreza Rear Brake replacement

I’ll be completing my first brake replacement this weekend - things seem straight forward enough, I just want to make sure that I’m not missing anything.

The video that I’ve watched is for a 2004 Impreza STI, and I have a 2007 Impreza wagon - am I safe to assume that the same principals apply?
Remove the cotter pins, horizontal pins, pull out the old pads, and replace.

Thats a front wheel showing in that video, the rears are generally much more complicated because of the parking brake. I have not watched the video, I am only looking at the still shot.

The video does address rears, about halfway through. It doesn’t address the emergency brake though. I’ve watched a few videos and none of them do…

Looking at the brake parts available on auto parts websites it appears that your rears are the same or similar to the video. The parking brake are brake shoes inside the hat (rotor/drum combination). I suggest simply removing the rear wheel and look at it to see if it’s the same as the video.

Whoa whoa whoa, those brakes are nothing like your brakes. The Brembos on the STi’s are exclusive to the STi; they are much higher performance and designed for the stresses of high performance driving. I don’t believe Brembo makes the calipers for other Subaru models, but even if they did, the design is drastically different.

But don’t worry, because the brakes on a 2.5i are incredibly simple to work on. After you get the wheel off, there should be 4 bolts on the back of the caliper. Two smaller ones bolt into the caliper slides, I believe they are 12mm. Take those out, and you should be able to take the caliper off the rotor and replace the pads. If you’re replacing the rotors, remove the two other bolts, I believe they are 14mm. Now you can remove the caliper bracket and the rotor will (hopefully) slide right off.

I wouldn’t worry about the emergency brake; the pads are unlikely to be worn unless you use the handbrake while the car is in motion. If you have to pull up a lot on the handbrake to get the brakes to engage, then the cable has likely stretched over the years. You can adjust the tension on the cable from inside the cabin.