New or demonstrator?

You’re quoting Consumer Reports; a publication from people have never worked in the automotive service or sales field.

I’ve worked for 5 dealers and done a lot of sublet work for another. All considered a demonstrator a used car.

As a service manager for one of those dealers I was provided a dealer demo to drive. When it hit a certain mileage it was sold as a used car and replaced with a new one.

Here’s a cut and paste from the Federal Trade Commission on the subject. Note especially the last 2 paragraphs.

The Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection has established the Used Car Rule to provide consumers with important purchasing and warranty information. The following is a guide from the FTC’s Business Center website.

A Dealer’s Guide to the Used Car Rule

Most car dealers who sell used vehicles must comply with the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC’s) Used Car Rule. In fact, car dealers who sell more than five used vehicles in a 12-month period must comply with the Rule. Banks and financial institutions are exempt from the Rule, as are businesses that sell vehicles to their employees, and lessors who sell a leased vehicle to a lessee, an employee of the lessee, or a buyer found by the lessee.

The Used Car Rule applies in all states except Maine and Wisconsin. These two states are exempt because they have similar regulations that require dealers to post disclosures on used vehicles. The Rule applies in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa.

This booklet defines the Rule’s requirements, explains how to prepare and display the Buyers Guide, and offers a compliance checklist.

You must post a Buyers Guide before you “offer” a used vehicle for sale. A vehicle is offered for sale when you display it for sale or let a customer inspect it for the purpose of buying it, even if the car is not fully prepared for delivery. This requirement also applies to used vehicles for sale on your lot through consignment, power of attorney, or other agreement. At public auctions, dealers and the auction company must comply. The Rule does not apply at auctions that are closed to consumers.

Previously titled or not, any vehicle driven for purposes other than moving or test driving, is considered a used vehicle, including light-duty vans, light-duty trucks, demonstrators, and program cars that meet the following specifications:

a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 8,500 pounds;
a curb weight of less than 6,000 pounds; and
a frontal area of less than 46 square feet.
2 Likes

So, to answer OP, it’s not used.

Ponder that statement more carefully.

By moving or test driving that means from the factory to the transport, transport to the dealer, dealer to the detail shop, and so on. Test driving means a certain new car that is taken for a 2 mile test drive or what have you.

The above cars are new. A car used as a demonstrator has a “put into service date” and the car is used for whatever and by whomever and may accrue 50 miles or a 1000 miles.
At that “service date” it no longer becomes a new car and that is the date on which the warranty begins.

Trust me; I know what I’m talking about here.

An edit to add another cut and paste. This one directly from Ford Motor Company.

1. Important information you should know
    IF YOU NEED CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE
    Your Ford Motor Company dealer is available to assist you with all your
    automotive needs. Please follow the procedures outlined on the front
    page of this booklet.
    In addition, if you are an eligible U.S. owner, you may use - at no cost -
    the services of the BBB AUTO LINE program. For details, see Better
    Business Bureau (BBB) AUTO LINE program,
    page 34 or call
    1-800-955-5100.
    KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS
    Your
    Warranty Start Date
    is the day you take delivery of your new
    vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer
    demonstrator), whichever occurs first.

I would expect the in service date to be the same as the sale date. I have seen hundreds of vehicles with greater than 100 miles on them in dealer inventory. No general manager wants to record a vehicle as “in service” for an extended test drive or on loan for a weekend.

Regardless of whether it technically is new or used, I would not be happy with a new car with a hundred or two miles on it. Always at the time the papers are signed and the car has been selected and the VIN is on the papers, the mileage is recorded. Most of mine have been 5 or 7 miles. One was 15 miles. I would have rejected a supposedly new car with 200 miles on it and they would have had to get another one out of stock.

I understand that dealers have cars driven from one location to another and have seen these folks on the road. The way they drove, I wouldn’t want them driving my car. Smart dealers will use transports to minimize mileage and not just pull a new car to let customers try it out. I would have had a problem if my new car had been driven 80 miles by brother from the train station. The $600+ delivery charge should be for plant to dealer, period.

I learned that the hard way, unfortunately.
When I ordered my '74 Volvo, the color that I wanted wasn’t available at my dealership or anywhere nearby. So, somebody drove my car ~ 200 miles from a dealership in Northern CT to my dealership in Central NJ.

Whatever that car jockey did on that trip certainly didn’t have any impact on the crappy electrical system of that car, or on its crappy fuel injection system, but after a couple of years, I was convinced that the excessive oil burning and the automatic trans problems were almost surely the result of somebody hot-dogging a brand-new car for a few hundred miles before it had been properly broken-in.

I was young and naïve in those days, but at least I learned something from that experience:
I will never again buy a Volvo, and I will never again buy a car that has to be driven from another dealership.
:pensive:

When I ordered my new Passat in 03, it came in with 360 miles on it.

Never worried about it, never a problem.