2019 Subaru Crosstrek - New car miles

how many miles on a new car are ok

I have no idea what your question means . Please clarify it so someone can reply.

Generally at least 10 miles as manufactures require a certain amount of road testing during the new car preparation inspection.

Generally around 10 miles. My truck had more, but that was because I requested my dealer pick it up from a different dealer and then sell it to me.
Some cars may have more miles because they had been test driven and not purchased by other customers.

I’ve seen new cars that have been test driven with a few dozen miles on them. Over 100 and you may want to pick a different one off the lot.

1 Like

Over something like 300 or 400, the manufacturer no longer considers it new, and won’t take it back if the dealer goes out of business. I wouldn’t worry about 100 miles or so. If five people drive it, it is likely to go over 100 miles. Also, cars are sometimes traded by dealers, and that could easily add 50 miles alone. We bought a “new” car (never registered) from a dealer going out of business in 2009 with 425 miles on it. There was a huge discount, and I asked why. The salesman was surprisingly honest about it. We still have the car and it runs well.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t care about 100-200 miles, but over 250 miles I probably still wouldn’t care but would ask for a discount. The car is warrantied for 60K miles usually, and 200 miles is only 0.3 % of that. Maybe I’m more flexible on stuff like that. On my first house purchase I let the seller live in the house rent free for a month after it had already closed. Didn’t bother me if it smoothed the deal b/c I had already paid for my existing apartment for that month.

1 Like

What are you really trying to ask? I did no even look at the mils our 2017 rav4, what difference does it make?

OP , how many miles is on this car you’ve apparently newly purchased? there’s always some miles b/c it was tested at the factory probably, then may have been driven onto the lot from where they unloaded it. And there’s usually some miles from other drivers and yourself doing test drives before it got purchased.

Most of mine have been around 7 but I suppose up to 15 would be acceptable. Yeah they have to get to the lot, then to the train, then to the truck, then around the dealer lot, etc. But to me 50 to 100 would mean it was used by someone’s wife.

1 Like

When I used to work for a Big 3 in corporate, miles varied widely, sometimes almost 1,000 miles before the original owner took delivery. Back then, and I assume it’s still the case, the warranty began when the original owner took delivery and the warranty did not start until the vehicle was delivered. So, if the vehicle had 300 miles at delivery, the B2B warranty went to 36,300 miles.

If a new vehicle has to be driven from another dealer, it’s possible it can can easily have a couple hundred miles on it. I wouldn’t sweat it.

1 Like

You’re right. Someone’s wife test drove the car before deciding whether or not to buy it.

1 Like

My new 2010 Kia Forte had 211 miles on the odometer. I insisted on the exact car I wanted. My local dealer had no SXs with M/T. Odd since it was the “sport” model. They found one at a dealer in Oakland, CA which was over 600 miles away! The next day they called and had found one in Puyallup, WA 195 miles away. I said OK. Why would I not worry about 195 extra miles on my new car? I drove it off the dealership lot 5/10/2010 I retired in September 2009. Although I did a couple 1,000 mile trips and about 5, 500 mile trips I had reached about 38,000 miles when the 60 month 60,000 mile warranty expired. Shortly after the car’s 8th “birthday” I reached 50,000 miles. I just reached 51,000 miles. I don’t anticipate exceeding 49,000 more miles in 19 months when the 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expires. 200 extra miles? I’m going with Mad Magazine’s Alfred E. Neuman. What… Me Worry?

Just to clarify, its not that the number of miles are such a big thing, but its the type of driving with those miles. The first miles on a car are important to the longevity of it. I used to see drivers delivering new cars to another dealer on the freeway quite often and I wouldn’t want those people driving my new car.

+1
When I was young and naïve, I opted to have a new Volvo–in the unusual paint color that I wanted–driven from CT to the dealership in NJ. While I was never able to prove it, I suspect that the engine’s extreme oil consumption issues were the result of someone wailing on it during that 150 mile drive.

Now that I can afford both the time and the cost for special-ordering my vehicles, I am quite willing to wait the 90 days or so that it takes to have MY vehicle made, and to be able to take possession of it with 6 or 10 miles on the odometer gives me some assurance that it wasn’t subjected to severe abuse before I took possession.

1 Like

some time before I recall the story of the guy who took delivery of some turbocharged Subaru, which was delivered from something like 600+ miles away, with the average speed of 50+ MPH not counting stops for gas or anything, then he had a huge oil consumption he was pursuing to fix unde rwarranty and they found totaly coked oil on the new engine and turbo…

Of course I asked about that. The dealerships mitigate possible speeding by emailing the departure time with the destination dealership logging the arrival time.