New EV Rules Announced for USA

The majority of all new vehicles must be electric by 2032.

Not going to happen.

2 Likes

Do you mean it offers-up too big of a compromise to the manufacturer’s.

I bet $10 Biden will be dead by 2032. And I won’t have an EV. There are 250 million licensed cars on the road now. I’m sure I can find a nice used gas car in 2032.

1 Like

That could apply to anybody … lol … From what I understand these rules don’t require anyone to purchase an EV. Calif rules are different, they may require EVs for most new purchases. Will make used gasoline used cars more valuable.

Probably won’t happen by then. It’ll probably keep being pushed out. Look at the Real ID mandate after 911. First deadline was 2005. Pushed out many times. The new enforcement is not 2025.

2 Likes

Which is exactly why it won’t happen. It is a mandate to the car makers not buyers. You cannot make people buy what they don’t want.

California tried this in the 1990s which was the reason GM created the EV1. Cali moved it back again and again until they cancelled it.

Those that don’t learn from history…

1 Like

You have to be careful how the news spins the situation. It says the percentage of electric cars is a target. They can’t mandate what is made or how many or what people buy. What they can do is introduce stricter emission limits that force better efficiency or different power trains to meet the new emission requirement.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s aspirational. The current administration can set a goal but when another President is elected that goal may change, even if it’s an administration that puts global warming at a high priority. Auto manufacturers have shown a willingness to build a huge number of EVs but if they can’t sell them, production won’t increase to the goals.

3 Likes

Auto workers fear the end of internal combustion engines and transmissions. Electric cars have far fewer parts and require far fewer people to make the parts and assemble the car.

Hybrids and plug-in hybrids make a lot of sense in the short and medium term - maybe longer - for many reasons.

+1
Hybrid sales climbed even faster than EV sales last year.
As per the NYT:
Americans bought a record 1.2 million electric vehicles last year, a gain of about 46 percent and a 7.6 percent share of all new car sales, according to Cox. But hybrid sales rose even faster, up 65 percent to more than 1.2 million, lifting their market share to 8 percent from 5.5 percent, according to Edmunds. Throw in plug-in hybrids, and nearly one in 10 new cars pairs a gasoline engine with electric motors to save fuel and boost performance.

Adding TO it? Coal Coal Coal Coal… :upside_down_face:
Or SOLVING it? Wind Solar Wind Solar :rofl:

Could be either…

Or just continue using fossil fuels and buy “carbon credits” or whatever they are called like the rest of the world does.

1 Like

Well said. And I’d be willing to bet that all of these elderly politicians who have passed these silly laws banning natural gas appliances, gasoline-powered vehicles, etc, by the early 2030’s will be dead and decomposing by the time the laws take effect. Funny how that works. One would think that if this is really such an “existential crisis” that the politicians would want the laws to take effect ASAP, before the Earth becomes a fireball. Of course, they do NOT want to be in office to take the heat for this (pun intended)!

3 Likes

Or maybe they recognize that immediately banning things would be impossible. The evidence is overwhelming and mounting. It’s not going away.

3 Likes

Chevron may have an impact after 40 years thanks to judge Silberman. Even great people can be wrong in foretelling the future. Hamilton sure missed some.

Technically they are emissions rules rather than EV rules. But yeah, one of the calculated targets is % of EVs sold (and plug-in hybrids) in order to reduce emissions. (And yes, we all know that EVs still create emissions - there’s no such thing as a “clean” car). But the EV % is a derivative, not a primary goal.

FWIW, EVs were around long before ICE’s. They’re not at all “new.” And I know the arguments - “well ICEs prevailed because of technology and markets” - but that’s so oversimplified. EVs have huge advantages in many respects even beyond their far superior energy efficiency. One has to wonder - if Edison was able to make car batteries that weren’t so crappy, would Ford have done EVs (instead or in addition?) If so, would EVs have been a thing all along?

At the turn of the century, in terms of sales, gas engines trailed behind steam and electric. By many accounts the turning point was Ford’s mass production techniques that turned autos from luxury items to more affordable ones. And Ford went with ICE - but not for any obvious techno superiority. But once the affordable Ford car came around, the world literally got built around the “needs” of gas cars. For those who point to the spotty EV charging infrastructure - what? Do you think there was a gas station on every corner in the early 20th century?

As for “government interference” in markets - state policies have been subsidizing both privately owned autos and gas powered ones, at that, for a long time. Our transport world today / the triumph of oil has not been created by some pure combination of technical possibility/supply potential + consumer demand. It’s been actively cultivated by state action.

So I don’t mind a little push in the other direction. In fact, I welcome it. I’d like a world where it’s easy to have and use an EV. (And that is not saying the same thing as one where I can’t find an ICE.) Right now, given everything, I still think hybrids are best. But that is changing, and I’m glad that it is.

3 Likes

I think we could reasonably say that the US and interstate highway systems in the US are a huge subsidy for ICE powered vehicles since they were the major and probably the only option while the majority of the system was built.

1 Like

Additionally, it could be argued that the construction of the Interstate Highway system was a huge subsidy for the real estate industry.

Much–if not most–of the suburban sprawl of the '60s & '70s was the result of easier/faster access from areas of lower-priced land/homes to areas where industry and jobs abounded. Instead of working in the same town, or a town adjacent to where they lived, people with sufficient means could now live further away, with a relatively easy commute–via ICE-powered cars, which then sold in larger numbers.

Then of course if you understand the federal government has no money of its own but only gets it from the populace, the populace funded the roads they drive on. I kinda like the roads myself.