New engine in hyundai Sonata

My Hyundai Sonata 2011 just had a new engine, steering column, brake pedal, brakes and at least 2 other items put in - all because of a recall NOT an accident.
Any advice on whether this bumps up the value of my vehicle?

No, it doesn’t do a thing for the value of your vehicle. All the rest of the parts are 7 years old. For some people, this would scare them away from your car and thus lower the value.

Would the dealer give me more $ on a trade since I got all the work done there and they know what’s under the hood?

nope

If you’re ready to trade in, do so, but don’t expect to get more for this one

and if you’re planning on selling the car privately, don’t expect the prospective buyer to pay more. It’s not the way things work

Ok - another question - we picked up the car after repairs on Saturday. On Monday the engine light came on - today it wouldn’t start. We had it towed and the dealer called and said that the starter was gone. Why wouldn’t they have caught that in the multipoint inspection?

That’s exactly the reason @Mustangman pointed before:

1 Like

But why wasn’t the starter issue caught in the multipoint inspection?

Probably it was still working at inspection, but was on the way out already?
Very likely you paid not much (if anything) for that "multi-point inspection, did you?
They were not going to make a in-depth analysis of every part, only checking if obvious flaws existed.

1 Like

A visual inspection can not predict an internal failure. Appearantly they transferred the old starter to the new engine, old parts can and do fail.
But with all these new items, why not just keep the car, with proper maintenance you should be able to drive it for a long time.

Got you. They replaced about 9 items including the engine due to a massive recall - 2011 Hyundai Sonata- google it.
This starter was the first thing I had to pay for.

Lucky you :slight_smile:
@Purebred makes a good point to keep the car if it is in OK shape.

I guess I’m reacting because they took a month to fix everything and then 2 days after getting it back - the starter goes.

Nope, still a 7 year old car. Stuff breaks on a 7 year old car. The starter did. What’s next? Who knows? No one has a crystal ball!

speak for yourself :crystal_ball:

4 Likes

Cars should come with crystal balls. The loaner they gave me was a Subaru Forester that had 24 miles on it. I should have just kept it. :sunglasses:

A problematic starter usually wouldn’t cause the check engine light to come on . I expect the cause of the engine light is a different problem. As far as why the starter problem wasn’t picked up with their standard inspection, it depends on the nature of the problem. Often-times the starter works ok one day, cranks the engine enough to get it to pop and run, then the next day it is a little cooler in the morning, and it won’t crank at all. A voltage-drop test may have showed the problem in advance, but they don’t do voltage-drop tests on the starter as part of a routine inspection. Why? B/c that takes too much time, unless there are readily identifiable symptoms to justify it. It’s the same reason your physician doesn’t test you for kidney stones on your routine exam visits.

As far as the value of the car increasing or decreasing after all that work was done, there’s upsides and downsides to that

upsides: yes, the new stuff may make the car last longer
downside: a car that needs all that work done under recall has either been poorly designed, or poorly built, or plain bad luck made it a lemon. buyers worry about things like this, as it may forecast more as yet unseen problems. Overall, weighing both sides, probably a wash. doesn’t increase the value, or decrease the value.