Want to update all of cartalk community for their help with excessive oil usage in my 2011 sonata:

I HAVE GOOD NEWS: From all the good advice from car talk people I was well-prepared for the Hyundai recall of Sonatas. I had none of the symptoms of metallic noise in engine or oil light on…but I did have too much oil consumption. Because my car was targeted in recall, with my complaints I was told to do an oil consumption test where dealer does oil change and after 1200 miles checks level. There was no oil leakage or apparent discharge from tailpipe.

LONG STORY SHORT, AFTER THIS TEST HYUNDAI GAVE APPROVAL FOR A NEW SHORT ENGINE BLOCK  (RECALL REPAIR) THEN THEY INFORMED DEALER THAT I WOULD GET A WHOLE NEW ENGINE (WITH TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY).  ENGINE BEING PUT IN TOMORROW......CAR LOOKS ALMOST KNEW INSIDE AND OUT...NO ACCIDENTS.  103,000 MILES WITH NEW ENGINE!!!  YOU GUYS HELPED ME FOLLOW YOUR LEADS WITH ALL YOURT KNOWLEDGE.

JUST HOPE THE REST OF THE CAR HOLDS UP NOW WITH NEW ENGINE....OR WILL BE SELLING POINT AS WELL.

@Andyport

Glad to hear things appear to be going your way

Please let us know when you have your car back with the new engine

Considering that it’s now March, and we hadn’t heard from you in a few months, can we assume that the Hyundai dealer or corporate dragged their feet and made things difficult for awhile?

By the way, who’s doing the repair . . . the dealer you bought the car from?

So glad it turned out well for you. Thanks for letting us know.

103k and warranty motor? Sweet.

Hyundai is a pretty good company to deal with. I had a coworker who’s Elantra the timing belt broke prematurely and the car was out of warranty. My coworker just had it replaced at his expense. He told me about like a year later. I told him to give me the repair bills and I wrote them a letter and sent them the copies of the repair bills, this was like a year later. About two weeks after I sent the letter in he received a check for the repair.

My coworker was really happy and he took me out for a nice dinner.

Its nice to hear a report like this every now and again. The people that devote their time and knowledge have a tremendous wealth of knowledge collectively. Many times we never hear if our attempts at helping ever pan out. So thanks for letting us know.

The guys here help because they care…a great bunch of mechanically inclined, like minded folk.

Blackbird

Terrific news! Thanks for the update!

Yes , DB4690, it is the dealer I bought it from. But any Hyundai dealer could have done it…the key was I had to get the oil consumption test at that dealer…they said they needed documentation of the oil usage to provide to Hyundai. I also went to another dealer to have them “certify” the oil level so they wouldn’t put it on “you are measuring it correctly”. I knew I was but the other dealer wrote me a note verifying it was below low for a given # of miles…but would not officially sign it. The service manage of that dealer said, “let you engine blow up”…(by leaving oil out). I said I('m not gonna do that…that would be stupid and dangerous.
Thanks again all you wise cartalk guys.