New car

I have been driving a Honda Accord for 16 years, but the rust is making me want to replace it. It has been the most reliable car ever, but I’m wanting a Volvo C30. My concern is how reliable will this car be if I keep it for many years. I can’t afford to pay alot in maintenance over the years and got so comfortable with the Honda’s reliability. Any thoughts on how expensive this car will be down the road to keep?

Considering Volvo’s recent reputation, I’d say you can safely assume a C30 will cost substantially more to maintain over time than your Accord.

I agree the Volvo will be more expensive. You can check the owner’s manuals of both cars and see how the maintenance schedules differ. Honda’s usually have more time and miles before requiring tune ups and timing belts.

As far as parts breaking and needing replacement as the cars age, advantage Honda again. Volvo parts are very expensive, Honda parts are just expensive. Volvo labor from a dealer is the highest in any locale, Honda is usually close to the norm. Lots of Honda dealers if you have a bad experience with one you can find another. Volvo dealers are few and far between, you’ll feel stuck if you have an issue with the Volvo dealers service dept.

The Volvo will be OK while under warranty. After warranty expires repairs will be needed almost immediately and then get more frequent as the car ages. From 10 years on the repairs costs budget should be $2,000 per year for the Volvo.

If you want the Volvo, get it but don’t plan to keep it past 5 years. If you want to keep your car for another 16 years the Honda is a better bet.

Agree with other posters. My brother is ready to replace his very reliable 1987 Honda Accord, and will likely buy another Honda.

Just as an estimate, you need to budget about twice the amount per year for keeping a Volov running over its life than a Honda. An other advantage is that almost any good shop can fix a Honda if necessary, since there are so many around. There is a large market for less expensive Honda aftermarket parts, not so much for Volvo. Finally, a Honda with normal care will have a longer economic life; it will be economic to fix it long after a Volvo becomes uneconomic to fix.

Finally, the future of Volvo is unknown; Ford has put it up for sale and the buyers will likely be Indian or Chinese.

If you want to keep a car a very long time and appreciate reliability, the best choices are 1) Honda, 2) Toyota, 3) Mazda. All three companies make very good cars in the size you want.

It’s easy to go from an unreliable car to a reliable one, but very frustrating to go the other way. Consider yourself spoiled by Honda reliability. Only Toyota and Mazda will be similar.

Honda Accord and Toyota Camry owners can get lulled into thinking that other cars have near their reliability. You are falling into that trap by even considering their repair history for the Volvo name…Even if the new ones prove to be just as reliable as a Honda; who the heck knows at this time ?

You’d be taking a huge chance with a brand that may not even be around in a few years and likely will cost many thousands more in repair and lost trade in value compared to an Accord. But, someone out there will buy lesser quality cars for whatever reason and we can say nothing to change your “wants”.

You’ve been warned !!

I just looked up the C30 and it looks pretty similar to a 3 door focus.
Cars that are in the same category would be the Mini Cooper, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris(though you’d want the sedan over the hatch as we’ve had a poster on here complain about the ride quality of the hatch), Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Pontiac Vibe, it’s twin the Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3 hatchback(also has a turbo charged 4cyl option called the Speed3)

It will be almost twice as expensive as an introductory luxury sedan from an Asian manufacturer and about 70% of an introductory luxury sedan from a European manufacturer. It would be about the same as a Cadillac CTS and around twice a Lincoln MKZ.