New car tire hazard

Joe Mario–If you read one of my previous posts, I asked somebody at Michelin’s corporate level if there was a difference between the Defender (sold at other outlets), and the Defender XT, which is sold at Costco. According to him, the tread is slightly different, but that this amounts to, “a distinction without a difference”, in terms of function. Both tires have identical traction, heat resistance, and tread wear ratings, and both have a tread wear warranty for 90k miles.

While it is still possible that the Defender that is sold at outlets other than Costco may have slightly different properties, I have to say that the Defender XT is the absolute best tire that I have ever driven on, in terms of steering response, ride, noise level, and resistance to hydroplaning. And, my average gas mileage improved about 1-1.5 mpg, apparently as a result of its LRR design.

Nothing against Tire Rack but I like to talk to the local folks concerning appropriate tires. I haven’t been steered wrong yet. Plus if you have a problem, you’re not messing with sending them back, etc. I suppose if you know exactly what you want, have a place for mounting and balancing, and old tire disposal, and don’t mind the hassle of mail order if you have a problem, Tire Rack is fine. For me though the last I checked, out the door price local versus TR was about the same. Tire prices have gone way up though in the past year so if you haven’t priced recently, you can see a substantial increase.

Agree with the comments about Tire Rack. They have lots of great information on their site, but their prices are not cheaper than prices from local independent tire shops.

That’s what I thought you were referring to VDC. Only you can tell me if that was a good deal for you. Sounds good to me. :wink:

WRT tire rack, sometimes, my time is worth a fortune to me. I wanted a set of winter tires on their own wheels. They came mounted and balanced, shipped via UPS. They were sitting at my door when I came home. Price was competitive w/ local and I didn’t have to drive someplace to get them.