Needs a New Engine

Years ago our daughter’s grade school had used computers in the classrooms. In fact, I worked on several of them, installing free educational software. That might be an option for you.

As far as the OP’s situation is concerned, there might be a local community college or technical school that would take the truck and let students work on it. Better than turning it into scrap.

1 Like

The thing you get with donating even if you save $7.50 or whatever on income tax is NO HASSLE! I mean you don’t have to fill out the paperwork on your end or give this to your accountant if you don’t care about the taxes. You avoid dealing with functionally illiterate people from Craigslist and FB. It seems that FB has really taken over the market for free online listings, especially since cars now require a $5 listing fee. You might be able to list this under parts as a “parts car” though and avoid that. FB’s auto reply buttons enable someone to send you a message with one click, even if they have no interest in your listing.

That being said, this sounds like a great project for a backyard mechanic. Which engine does the truck have.

As for my situation with electronics, I hope to find someone wanting them, rather than having them scrapped. I mean they still work and run modern software, even if a few years old. The world seems to be drowning in older but still useful electronics. I would have expected this to be one of the biggest waste streams but I read an article that we are far more wasteful with clothing than anything else. Clothing is now made cheaper because people wear it less before throwing it away, contributing to the problem as well. One of the local thrift stores says that there is a good recycling market for bad clothing so that is good. They sell it as “scrap” to recyclers who shred it for insulation and padding uses.

It is good that cars are going the opposite way, even with complicated tech. They seem to last far longer and are made better than in the days of old, even if they are harder to work on. Mechanical components and fluids are both better.

I am realizing that my old 1997 Ford has started to use a pretty decent amount of oil. It is nothing that can’t be managed at this time but this seems to have cropped up in the last year or so. The engine runs well otherwise so my plan is to just add oil for the time being. The rest of the truck is in pretty rough shape but it is a good farm and winter truck with working 4WD and all.

This is not one I will invest a lot of money in but will check for a stuck PCV valve and such to make sure it isn’t something simple.

The truck has 281,000 miles and the odometer has been stuck for some time. It has a lot of miles and was used and abused before I got it so it may just be wearing out.