Need help!

I?ve got a 98 Chevy cavalier, I have had it for almost 7 years it has 89K miles on it. I have kept up with the maintenance. I have put in about $1000 in the past year for repairs (brake pads, axle, tie rods, struts and a few other things) but I knew there was something major wrong so I brought it to 3 different mechanics and they all said it is most likely the steering rack. This job would cost me over $500, so I am very torn to whether I should put another $500 in and see if that fixes it or get a new car? I can?t really afford a new car or to really fix it but I am really confused on what to do? I know a lot of people here suggest fixing cars, but I don?t know how much longer this car will last me if I fix it. thanks!

There should not be much of a question as to whether or not it needs a steering rack. If it needs a new rack, then it needs one. A mechanic should be able to say “yes, or no” without any hesitation.

You can’t buy another car for $500, and this one may last a long time. Or not. I can’t see it from here, so it’s hard to say.

I have put in about $1000 in the past year for repairs (brake pads, axle, tie rods, struts and a few other things) all those things other than the axle are maintenance items, not repairs. Consider that expense like you would fuel. It is part of owning and driving any car.

$500 is a lot less than a new car or even a couple of payments.