Need help selling a cheap car

I’ve got a 92 Buick with around 110,000 miles on it. I’ve replaced the head gaskets, spark plugs, starter and harmonic balancer in the car, and I have it on craigslist for around $1000. I’ve never really sold something like this on craigslist so my nerves and paranoia are a little bit higher than usual. For instance, I have a guy who is using someone else’s phone and lives a city away but claims to have a relative who wants to come look at the car. Part of me says, okay, let this guy check out the car but another part of me is weary of having someone looking at a car for someone else. Is this justified? Am I being too paranoid? Is there a safe way of selling a car without dealing with shady people through craigslist?

The Craigslist site has warnings that you should look at. For a 1000.00 car I would only except cash and have someone with me to meet any buyer. As for using someone’s phone and someone else to look at the vehicle I would not do it.

Have someone with you, tell them cash only, and have them meet you in the parking lot at the police station to work the deal. If they’re legitimate they shouldn’t have an issue with any of that and in fact should be supportive of doing it that way.

Meet some whwere besides your home is advice I have heard. Make sure you take the plates off and notify dmv it is sold. I put one on craigslist and the first guy was like I live in pheonix but want to have a friend come and pick it up for me, I can pay by credit card on Paypal, I just said sorry it is sold as it was stated cash or casheirs check only and did not want the hassle. Still receiving spam from some company that wants to help me sell it.

I’ve sold a few cars on craigslist, and never had a problem. I often have the prospective buyer meet me at my office where there are usually couple of other people around. Meeting at the police station sounds good, especially if you are apprehensive. Your bank is another good place to meet too, especially if a notary is needed for the title. (Some states don’t require notarization.) Make an appointment. If he’s 15 minutes late, move on. Then you can deposit their cash before you leave. Remember, you both need paperwork to prove that you have sold it. You should have the title in hand. If the title doesn’t change hands, the buyer can claim that you still own the car if he wrecks it on the way home. Make copies. He gets the original. You keep a signed copy. A bill of sale is a good idea too.

Go with your gut, if the buyer sounds suspicious, then wait for the next one.

I have sold quite a few things among cars on craigslist. Never had a problem. I always take cash, or go the the bank with them and they wire/transfer the money. I am around people a lot, so somehow by just talking to someone over the phone for 5 minutes, I can decide whether I am going to waste my time on them or now.

Last time we were selling a piece of furniture that was not worth much and I was a bit leery because I felt not many would be online for that kind of stuff. First person who called sounded decent over the phone and actually I gave him a discount over the phone just to deal with him than anybody else. When he showed up, it was someone we knew and just happily gave it to him for free. So for all the bad stories about CL, there are good ones too.

The most important thing – besides your own personal safety – is that if you sell the car, you get paid the full amount. Cashier’s checks can be forged, even cash on the barrel can be counterfeit bills. Prior to making a deal, besides checking w/the DMV for their requirements, suggest you visit your local bank, a major bank where you have a long term account, and ask them if there’s a method of payment where the bank can guarantee any payment you receive is legitimate.

The last car I sold was to a local used car (only) lot. I lost some $$$s but it was totally painless. Your car must be clean, no check engine light, run well, etc. or a lot won’t touch it.

It just occurred to me that in that situation I might insist that the potential buyer or go between meet me inside a nearby bank just for the security that the video cameras would give. A crook would avoid being videod with a victim while an honest buyer would have no problem with being seen and identified.

Good luck. If you lived near Mayberry II I might meet you at the bank and take a look at the car.

The situation described makes my gut quiver.
I go with my gut. If too many things aren’t normal, if my gut quivers, I “pass”. Another buyer will call soon. Too many details in the described scenario don’t sound quite right.

"Have someone with you, tell them cash only, and have them meet you in the parking lot at the police station to work the deal. "

Sounds nice, but…curbstoning is illegal. Private-party sellers look like curbstoners at first glance (how could they not?)…on top of which, goodness knows how many Byzantine laws regarding sales of cars, zoning, ad nausea an area may have.

As Henry Chinaski once said, “I don’t dislike cops…I just feel better when they’re not around.” I, too, don’t want to be hanging around, suspiciously, at the cop shop, while one of our Finest tires to figure out if each and every one of my lights work, or if I chirped my tires a bit too loudly pulling out of their lot.

So…“meet in the Denny’s parking lot” is good enough for me!

I don’t know that the OP is curbstoning though. I took his post to mean he’s selling a personal car.
Around here the PD wouldn’t object to it; any curbstoning or title jumping issues not applicable to the transaction of course.

A year or so ago in Tulsa I think it was, someone went to buy a car and met someone in the parking lot of a mall. The car seller mugged them of their money and lit out. Not saying the OP would mug anyone at all but the PD lot makes it safer for both parties.

If someone refused to meet in the PD parking lot that alone should reveal whether they’re to be avoided or not.

Okay, if we are going to do scary stories, recently in LA someone who was trying to buy a foreign student’s Audi, killed him and stole the car. The car was apparently worth $30K, but I wouldn’t expect criminals to have a reasonable threshold for crime as far as $ value goes.

Only agree to meet at a busy public parking lot. If the buyer wants a test drive, go along. If you feel comfortable doing this with a friend, do that too. Your comfort, and by extension your safety, are what matters most. Anything can be counterfeited, including cash. A certified check or money order are reasonable alternatives to cash, but cash is still king. Find out if the buyer wants to pay cash or not. If not, familiarize yourself with money orders and certified checks. They must be made out to you, so the sale can’t be finalized at the first meeting unless it is cash. Also, if the buyer wants a mechanic to check the car, go along for that exercise, too.

Thanks for the input ya’ll. I might just take it to a car lot even if I do lose some money. I really just want to get rid of the dang thing at this point.

Actually, if I am not sure about the buyer and selling a beater, I do NOT go for the ride with them. Just hold on to their Driver’s License. If they don’t come back, at worst you have lost $ on the car, but not your life.

The suggestions about meeting at the police station are the same ones that at least a few police departments have made for completing any online based sale (Craigslist/Ebay/etc).