Need help! Jeep Compass Anti Theft engages during radio installation

2010 Jeep Compass 4x4. No radio in when I bought the car(may be the reason why?). Bought an original used radio, when I plugged it in the radio did not seem to power on. And it almost immediately tripped the Anti-theft, shutting off engine. My initial reaction is too go ahead and assume it’s due to a faulty radio unit, which in-turn is tripping the anti theft. But I don’t know much about the going on’s of anti theft system, and looking for any ideas.
Also, Does removing the radio in the car disable the anti theft. So if I purchase another, the problem may persist?

Will unplugging a non working radio allow car to run? Try it
It’s a 10 yr old Jeep. That isn’t running. Seems normal.
Plugging a stock radio into an uncut undamaged harness should be no issue.

This statement kind of scares me

You had the engine running when you plugged in the radio ?

NEVER have the engine running when doing electrical work

Also the battery should be disconnected while doing electrical work.

1 Like

Concur w/above post, engine off, battery negative disconnected before working on any electrical system. That said , my guess is the used radio isn’t the problem. It probably has to be matched up to the other parts of the car using a Jeep dealership scan tool. No experience with your make/model/year, but radios are part of the security system in many vehicles these days, and part of the security protocol is for the car’s computer to verify they have the expected serial number. Be prepared. You’ll likely have to prove you own the car before the dealership will be able to pull out their security-system scan tool.

1 Like