Need a clue

i have a 97’ nissan pick up truck with 87,000 miles in el paso. its been run average. at about 70 - 75,000 the check engine light soon came on and the trucks excelleration with up to the point i can put it in 1st gear and take off without pressing on the gas pedal. and needless to say I cannot pass the inspection because of the idle.I have been told that it could be a number of things. but because I am not made of money IT is important that I get the problem correct the first time.

Question: What could be wrong?

Go to Autozone and they will check the trouble codes free, then you’ll have a little better idea what is wrong.

wish I could get my car to excellerate.

You can if spelling isn’t your forte’.

i understand your truck is running funny. but you need to show more info to get help with this problem.

as bing said, get the check engine light code (s) read. what have you done to the truck in its history? (repairs, maintenance, damages.) what has been happening lately.

when you get the codes read, post the code back here. NOT what your interpretation of the code, but the actual code numbers.

the codes will be a letter, number mmunber munber number combo. like P 0123.

First, you have to put on 87,000 miles in El Paso and be sure to run it average.

The idle rpm is very high, right? Make sure the throttle plate linkage is on the stop peg at idle. Take the large plastic intake tube off and make sure the throttle plate is closed (or, has a tiny gap according to the repair manual). Use MAF spray cleaner, and carb/throttle body spray cleaner on the MAF and the throttle plate and bore, and idle air control valve (iac) pintle and passage.
Get the check engine light codes read and bring here.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I agree; get AutoZone or someone to pull the codes and post them back here. The fact that the vehicle has been going this long with a problem may have turned a comparatively minor problem into a number of minor, or even major, ones.
Sounds like the vehicle is idling too fast(?) and if that’s the case the Idle Air Valve may be dirty or defective.