Mystery clock

The dash clock on my Gen 1, 2000 CR-V stopped working around 2017. Since then, I,ve used stick up battery clocks over that broken dash one. A couple of weeks ago my most recent stickup died. I took it off and hand,t yet replaced it. Yesterday, I started the CR-V and on goes the dash board original clock, after approximating 7 years of not working. Any thoughts. Recent repairs in the last 3months were oil pan filter replace, new steering rack and a rear bearing. Mystery to me.

It’s just another one of the mysteries that go with driving a 20+ year old vehicle…

1 Like

As far back as the 60s, car clocks were never expected to work. They just looked nice and filled a space in the dash. The new digital clocks are a wonder and people now actually began expecting them to work. My Pontiac clock loses a couple minutes every month. I just reset it and never rely on it except for a general idea of what time it is.

2 Likes

Most likely a loose wire or a bad solder connection. if you are mechanically inclined you can try this…

How to Repair 1995-2001 Honda CRV Clock (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001) - iFixit Repair Guide

Maybe the steering work involved monkeying w/something under the dashboard, and the movement of the wiring harness re-connected something. Heat/cooling cycles can do the same. Suggest to enjoy your working clock like found money, and buy a few replacement stick-on versions to keep on hand, just in case.

Thanks George, that’s my plan to enjoy it while it works and then back to a stickup.