CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

My outlander's air conditioner comes and goes

Hi
The air conditioner on my outlander 2010 has been coming out cold and suddenly comes out hot (outside’ temperature). A couple of days before this started happening, the car made a weird noice (like it broke something) and it turned off by itself. Check engine went on. I took the car to my mechanic but the machine found nothing wrong so he just reset the computer. since he doesn’t know what’s happening and neither do I!.. i hope you can!.. would be appreciated!

Check to see if the a/c clutch is engaging. If it isnt, then check the charge of the system. Low pressure triggers the a/c not to come on, and sometimes it can be right on the edge and trigger sometimes. The noise could be a broken blend door that isnt allowing the cold air into the cabin.

There’s a number of possibilities. Inoperative cooling fans can cause the compressor to shut off. Incorrect refrigerant pressure also has an effect.
I believe this model also uses a compressor control module.

Things are not so simple anymore. Assuming the system pressure is correct my next step would be to eyeball a factory wiring diagram and go from there.

I took at a look at AutoZone’s site and they do not have a schematic available so I can’t help you much if at all. Maybe the weird noise was a cooling fan giving up or a heavy duty fan fuse popping.