My humble apologies to everyone on this board

I’ve been wasting everyone’s time and I am so sorry. I have my vehicle serviced regularly at the dealer where I bought it and both the parts department and the customer rep looked up my car and told me I have run flats. But today I went to the garage and wrote down all the numbers and called Dunlop and verified that I do not have run flats. Which is great in a way, except that I am very embarrassed for wasting everyone’s time.

But I’d still like to ask another question. Can I put 225s on my car if I currently have 215s? I haven’t asked the dealer yet but I don’t trust them very much at this point.

No apologies needed, dealers deal out misinformation with (depressing) frequency. As for 225 vs 215, you need to state the full tire size (including aspect ratio, which is the 60 or 65 or 55 kind of number), such as 225-60R16. Why the 225s? Are 215s not available?

the OE size is 215 65 R16

the michelins I want are available in 225 65 R16 but not in 215

Actually, I posted my apology on the wrong board! This is too pathetic.

Bad Girl; Bad!

There, now that’s out of the way. What Michelin tires do you want? They might be available, but not from that particular shop. Also, we might help you find a good tire that is very similar to the one you want.

Are you kidding? We come here specifically to waste time. If my boss knew what I was doing right now, he wouldn’t be very happy :wink:

215/65/R16 vs 225/65/R16 The “bigger” will handle better, assuming they fit, be a little wider and a little taller. It also will give up a little snow traction to the narrower tire in the same tread design.Still will be better than what you had.

I think I read that if I go to 225 the other number has to come down a size so I guess I would get a 225/60R16. I am worried the wheels will scrape or be hard to turn if I’m trying to get into a tight parking space or be harder on my engine. I didn’t really want to have to give up anything on traction. My first choice was the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and my second the Hankook Optimo H727. My second choice is available in exactly the same size as the OE, so maybe I should just go with that?

I am going to guess you would be OK, but I really don’t know. The tyre store or the dealer should be able to check this out for you. However I don’t think I would put much faith in the dealer who gave you the original data.

From the Tire Rack webpage for a Kumho Solus KH16, the 215/65R16 has a diameter of 27.0", 225/60R16 a diameter of 26.6", and 235/60R16 a diameter of 27.1". The 225/60 is smaller than the OEM tire.

I bought Yokohama Avid Touring-S tires (215/65R16) for my wife’s 2006 Sienna and have had no issues with them. The tires are quiet, ride well and have good rain traction. Can’t speak for snow traction until tomorrow. Besides clearance issues, changing the tire size may affect the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I would stick with the original size myself.

Ed B.

Time spent helping someone, even of the help turns out to have been unneccessary, is never wasted time. Never ever. Please don’t feel you have anything to apologize for.

I’m pleased at your final results.

www.carbibles.com has a good primer on what all this tire stuff means. It includes information on tire sizes and what they mean. I recommend a visit.

Look at it this way…you may have received a little advice that may not apply, but it’s education we can all use later. Read some of the older discussions we’ve been in and you won’t be so hard on yourself.

Jennifer,

Try 225/60R16’s. They are the functional equivalent to 215/65R16 - and this is by far the most popular tire size and you should find a large variety of different tires with lots of different attributes.

Don’t worry about us; I probably owe a few apologies here and a lot of them in real life. Mostly bad people decisions. Bad people skills are worse than bad parts knowledge sometimes.

My apologies need work too. If I waited a few minutes, the people could discuss the problem first before I explain it all and remove the wind from their sails. They get kind of deflated at first and then wonder how I could do crazy things if I have so much understanding.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=215%2F&ratio=65&diameter=16&x=49&y=11