My car keeps stopping!

Hey guys,

My sister is an avid listener (and now I am too) and she told me to submit my question here.

I have a 2002 Honda CRV that recently started to fail on me. I’ll be driving and usually in front of a red light (when the car is idle), the car will stop. Luckily, the last time it happened, I was able to get the car to start back up again. Also, the car sometimes won’t start (ignition won’t start) from when it’s been parked. It happened multiple times this past week and the mechanic apparently doesn’t know what it is. He cleaned my throttle body, which helped in how smooth my car runs now (less shaky) but the problem still persists. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Oh, and I forgot to add that the car will remain on if I press the accelerator to where the meter reads 3-4 rpm, but once the meter goes down around 1 rpm, the car engine just shuts down…

Is a Check Engine light on? If so, have the codes read.

No, the check engine light isn’t on. Thanks for asking.

This sounds like a vacuum leak or a fault with the Idle Air Control valve. (The IAC valve is essentially a vacuum leak but it’s a computer controlled leak.)

The IAC does not alway set a code and even if it does set one that does not mean the CEL will be on.
You might consider having the car scanned for codes. Many chain type auto parts houses (AutoZone for one) will do this for you free and it only takes a few minutes.
Their job is to provide a code for you, not a diagnosis. Keep that in mind and I hope this helps.

I’m reading between the lines here, but I detect a possible lack of routine maintenance.

How many miles on this car, and when, if ever, was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? Has the factory maintenance schedule been followed?

I have to agree with mcparadise. Has all the recommended maintenance been done? Not just what you might think is the cause of the current problem, but all the recommended maintenance.