98 CR-V shuts down while using a/c

Hi guys, I have a 98 Honda CR-V with automatic transmission, beautiful machine. It used to have a problem that recently re-emerged. If I have the a/c on, I’ll come to a stoplight and when it’s time to start moving again the engine shuts down, the indicator lights for battery and oil come on but I don’t think it has anything to do with those. I can very easily just set it to neutral and start it up again, but the next time I stop for a while it will happen again. Short term solution is to just not use the a/c.
The battery is 3 years old, cables were changed a few years ago, spark plugs are new, air filter is new. The thing that changed recently is I had the engine supports replaced (old ones were broken). Any ideas to what it could be?

The stalling might be due to a dirty/defective Idle Air Control valve.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=942426&cc=1315673&jsn=362

The IAC valve controls the engine’s idle speed under all load conditions.

For example, if you were to turn the steering wheel while idling, the IAC valve would bump the idle speed up to compensate the load the power steering pump puts on the engine to prevent the engine from stalling.

The IAC valve does the same thing when the AC is on and the compressor puts a load on the engine.

One way to find out if it’s the IAC valve is, the next time you come to a stop with the AC on, brake with your left foot, and then slightly step on the gas pedal with your right foot.

If this prevents the engine from stalling the problem is with the IAC valve.

Tester

Actually that does happen, that’s what I used to do to prevent it. Thanks for the tip! I’ll check with my mechanic. Do you think I should replace the valve or is there some way to fix it?

Try cleaning the IAC, if it doesnt fix it you are only out some time and cleaner.