My car is hydroplaning too easily

I know hydroplaning is always a risk in wet conditions, but even so my car hydroplanes too easily even though the tires are fully inflated and I try to drive in the tracks left by the car in front of me. I even had it checked at the shop but they found nothing to attribute it to. In wet weather I only feel safe driving this car on side roads where I an go really slow. Any suggestions?

Make and model of tires? How many miles on them? How old?

2 Likes

Your tires are - worn out - too old - over inflated - do you even know what the tire pressure should be ? -

3 Likes

You seem diligent.

Without knowing what brand tires you have or the condition they are in, it will be hard to help.
I suggest you go to the following link and put your brand tires in and see what other people who have them say about them.
You can have brand new cheap or off brand tires that are terrible in wet or snowy conditions.

Tire Research: Tire Ratings Charts and Reviews | Tire Rack

4 Likes

… or, they are a tire model that is just plain lousy when it comes to resisting hydroplaning.
However, the most likely factors are the ones that you mentioned.

+1
If the OP will reveal that information, we will have a much better idea of the source of the problem.

Have the alignment checked to see if it’s within specs

Tester

1 Like

It’s necessary to drive at a slower speed when there is water on the road compared to dry.

What pressure are they inflated to?

Get better tires.

3 Likes

Well maybe I spoke too soon. I double-checked and the tire pressure on the passenger side tires is a bit low, especially the rear one (I am going by the recommended psi in the owner’s manual.)

The tire on the rear drivers side is a Prinx HiRaceH22 A/5 R36. It was just put on two weeks ago. The tire on the front drivers side is a 215/45417 91W XL Eagle Sport A/S VSBTL and was put on in 10/20. The front passenger side is a Landsail LS388 (put ont in 7/21) and the rear passenger tire is a Champion Fuel Fighter 01545 30TN.

I TRY to drive in the tracks made in front of me but it’s not always possible.

Well there is your problem, 4 different tires that all suck.

13 Likes

With that sort of tire assortment, no telling how car would handle. I expect you’d get better results wet or dry if all four tires were the same make/model/size/psi/wear.

2 Likes

Four different brands of tires, with varying inflation pressures, and at least two of them are cheapo Chinese-made tires. More than likely, they all have different tread depths, also.

Frankly, I’d be surprised if you weren’t experiencing traction problems on wet roads.

5 Likes

How do I find out what’s the best tire model? Sorry, as you can probably tell I’m a bit of a novice here…

The Tire Rack web site or just go to a local independent tire store . How and why do you have this assortment of tires ?

2 Likes

Go to Tirerack.com, enter the make, model, and model year of your car, and you will be able to see ALL of the tires (there will be a lot) that are available for your car. Then, you can drill-down into the data for each tire to see its qualities as to traction, handling, tread wear, ride quality, noise, rolling resistance, etc. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours looking at everything.

Even if you don’t buy from Tire Rack, the information on their site is extremely valuable when you are tire shopping.

3 Likes

All right, thanks for the advice. As for why I have 4 different brand tires, I’m just not the most organized, but I will correct this issue promptly.

1 Like

What tire shop did this without talking you out of it? This is dangerous, as you’re finding out. Ideally all four tires should match, but at a minimum the tires on each axle need to match.

Go to Tire Rack’s web site, put in your tire size, read the ratings to find the best tire for the factors that matter to you, and buy four of those tires locally or from Tire Rack.

You were smart to ask. Good job.

1 Like