My car is hydroplaning too easily

Visit your local public library and tell the staff you want to use their Consumer Reports to investigate their recommendations for tires for you car. You may be able to get some info here as well

Also look at the door-lock pillar on the driver’s side door, visible when door is open. there should be a sticker there w/recommended tire info.

1 Like

That is a good question . And if a chain store the headquarters needs to know about this unsafe practice.

The three most recent tires were put on by Firestone and Mavis. Maybe I should stick with Goodyear (they put the oldest one on).

The supply of those odd ball tires is probably limited, when returning 6 months later they may not have a matching tire. Stick with a well-known brand of tire.

1 Like

Maybe not. This is a capsule review that I found pertaining to your Goodyear Eagle tire: The Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season is a great tire when it comes to dry traction, cornering, and handling, but does struggle a bit in wet conditions

As to a couple of your other tires, this is what I found:
Prinx tire is made in China by Prinx Chengshan (Shandong) Tire Co., Ltd :grimacing:
LANDSAIL is made in China by the QINGDAO SENTURY TIRE CO., LTD. :grimacing:

A couple of years ago, Consumer Reports published ratings of tire retailers, along with tires, and Mavis was the bottom-rated tire retailer in The US. The closest tire store to my house is Mavis, and I would NOT patronize them, based on negative experiences of a couple of neighbors. And, then there is the fact that Mavis is selling those cheapo Chinese-made tires.

Personally, the only tires that I will put on my car are Michelins. If you are a Costco member, you can go to their tire center and buy a set of FOUR matching Michelins for–most likely–a lower price than anyone else is charging.

A civic should handle ok with good tires.

4 different makes of tires with different tire patterns is your problem and if any of them are worn at all will make it worse. If you plan on keeping the car for the forseeable future then get 4 new good all season tires and not the cheapest chinese ones they have .

I’ve had good luck with Discount Tire. There may be one in your area.

1 Like

@waxy1983_183306 what is the year and model of your Civic? Sedan coupe or hatchback? Trim (EX, etc)?

It’s a 2007 SI sedan.

Time for a dumb question. Since you have 4 different models of tires, are they all the same size? Should be 215/45-17 or 215/40-18.

1 Like

When you do get a new matched set of quality tires also get a 4 wheel alignment.

1 Like

If you can afford them, the Michelin CrossClimate2 would be an excellent tire. The Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 is a very good tire that’s somewhat cheaper. If you need to go as cheap as possible, you could go with the Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91, although you’ll be giving up some snow traction if that’s important. Also, I recommend an alignment whenever you get new tires to be safe.

From that point, make sure to keep them properly inflated.

Not necessarily, most speed limits are politically set, not due to maximum safe speed. If a roar would feel perfect;y safe to drive at 90 but the speed limit is set at 65 and you usually travel it at 70, there may be no need to slow down when it rains.

I am skeptical of most reports of hydroplaning, probably because in 3 million miles, * have never experienced it.

I have experienced oil rising to the surface of the road whenit first rains after a dry spell and sliding around for a while ubtil the rain washes the road. I have noticed old roads like parts of the PA Turnpike that get very slippery in the rain because the concrete was made with round river pebbles rather than crushed stone, and it is easy for an inexperienced highway driver to over correct and lose control, but true hydroplaning would be almost zero friction and uncontrollable. I think the only way you would experience it would be with bad tires.

There are other conditions that will make you slide around such as grooves worn in the pavement from heavily loaded trucks, especially leaving toll booths, but all of these can be overcome by an experienced driver that does not panic. For example you may need to slow down the rhythm of your steering inputs so you don’t amplify the problem.

George is in California, rain is less frequent, more time for contaminants to build up one the roads, when it rains, roads become slippery, CA drivers freak out. Where as in Florida where rain is common, slowing down means dropping from 20 MPH over the speed limit down to 5 MPH over the limit.

I use the TireRack guide, check the wet traction box as most important, then go from there.

3 Likes

Yes, and I have witnessed that phenomenon!
But, in every part of the country, the first hour of rain following an extended dry period will result in slippery roads, as the oil/grease in the pavement rises to the top and glazes the roadway.

2 Likes

True, until the rain is sufficient to wash off the contaminants, roads are very slippery. On occasions I have seen the oil on water sheen on the roads.

2 Likes

What do you mean by fully inflated? We have had people posting in this forum who swear by the number on the side of the tire. If that’s the case then you’re WRONG and this is causing you to hydroplane (among the other things mentioned). Properly inflated tires to what it says on the sticker on inside driver’s door-jam or owner’s manual.

Some where the OP said they used the tire pressure list in the owners manual . I guess he did not know about the door jamb plaque . I doubt if he really was Hydroplaning but just had very poor traction due to 4 different brands of cheap tires .

Maybe he will go to a real tire store and not Mavis .

2 Likes

Or at least buy decent tires. Although I have been situations where I could only get an make due what I could afford at the time. Maybe this was their situation, or not who’s to tell.