My Car Has No Child Safety Locks PLEASE HELP!

I second the idea of a Crown Vic P71. Your 2011 Smart Car is worth enough that you can sell it or trade it in for an older P71.

Find it hard to believe that as inexpensive as a safety lock and as many as the manufacturers make and install in mainstream vehicles, MercedesBenz chose not to use child safety locks
???
Must confuse the assemblies to remember that all vehicles except Smart have the safety feature.

Child Locks Are For Rear Doors On A Four-Door, (Back Seat Where Kids Ride).
Smart Cars Only Have A Door Or Two.

CSA

Correct CSA.
I was kinda assumed that if one is transporting an autistic or other child that you would put them in the back seat where it is safer in a collision and away from the driver’s conrrols. I should’ve read @VDCdriver’s reply.

Why? the Bold and Italics. A bit loud.

The OP needs to do something.
For this one kid at least, a one-at-a-time method is going to need to be invented regardless of all youall’s griping about legality and such.
That’s where the strap idea comes into play. It can be used on a temporary basis and be controled by the driver. Another idea is a large piece of cardboard
after seating the problem passenger and belting them in, the driver would plcae this large cardboard beside the then close the door. The cardboard would be cut to fit floor to window bottom and from dash to behind the seat.

I have always had a general dislike of child locks, even on rear doors. In the event of a bad accident where the drive or front seat passenger are dissabled,
the rear seat passengers are TRAPPED ! locked in and can’t ever get out ! If this car were in the water ?? on fire ??
All of that is why the latches were re-designed to make it so no one would be locked IN to a vehicle. Locks are to keep people OUT ,not IN. My 79 is proof of that. My new set of kids were greatly confused when trying to get out and the door was still locked. ‘‘You need to UNlock it’’ I said to their perplexed glares.

Honestly, I would not try to modify your vehicle. I would go directly to my supervisor and report verbally & in writing that the client opens the car door while traveling(You have probably already done this). Your employer need to be aware your vehicle is not equipt for this clients safety. I am certain your employer can reassign the client to another clinician with the appropriately equipt vehicle. Employer can make a client swap to ensure the safety of everyone. You have a heart for the disabled
this is the responsible thing to do. Good Luck and please update us on your solution.

@krbrito215_168904 - You have replied to a 7 year old thread. I would hope that by now this serious problem has been solved .

Yeah
When I originally read the thread I did not see any dates. That appeared AFTER I replied. I felt silly. However, not as silly as you commenting to tell me how silly and irrelevant my comment was. Just move on right? Stuff happens.

6 Likes

There is no need to be critical. @VOLVO-V70 was trying to help you understand that you replied to a 7 year old thread. There is no way for him to know that you already figured that out.