My 2011 Nissan Altima Key fob works intermittently

I have this strange issue with my 2011 Nissan Altima Key fob. It works
intermittently.

Here’s what I have tried:

• Replaced keyfob battery, twice.
  • The same issue happens with my current key fob and the spare key fob.
  • Try to reset Car computer by unplugging car battery for about half hour, while leaving key fob inside car. (not inserted)
  • Try to reset keyfob by turning car on/off while leaving key fob inside car. (not inserted)

Here’s what works:

• The door button on the keyfob works maybe 90% of the time.
  • The door buttons on the car works when keyfob is near.
  • The trunk button on the keyfob works maybe 50% of the time.

Here’s what doesn’t work

• The trunk button on the car when keybob is near, doesn’t work 90% of the time.
  • I almost have to wave the keyfob around. it works maybe 10% of the time?

I’m not sure what the issue is. Does anyone have similar experience? Please
help!

Thank you all.

Keyfobs with buttons probably have a rubbery layer under the keys that is conductive of electricity, and connects two printed circuit lines when pressed against that circuit board when you push the button. That contact area gets dirty over the years and the dirt acts as an insulator, and the buttons don’t seem to work. Pushing harder does not help. Many TV remote controls work the same way. If you take the plastic housing apart carefully it is possible to clean the surface of the printed circuit board and of the “rubber” layer with alcohol. It’s a fussy business.

If you have come to the point where you are ready to buy a new fob, then you can dive in and see what you learn.

It sounds like maybe the connection went bad in the remote?
i had this issue with my old car, and i found a place in pennsylvania called the keyless remote warehouse adn they offered to fix my key for a good price and also sold me a used one for a good price as well!

My guess is that (1) either both key fobs you have are worn out (probably due to the common remote control rubber button problem described above) , or (2) the antenna that receives the fob’s signal has a problem; e.g. broken antenna wire, or bad ground connection. Between those two, problematic key fobs seems most likely. Good idea still to do the basic battery/charging system test: before first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts, immediately after starting the engine 13.5 - 15.5. volts.