Multiple tire blowouts/Same wheel -need advice

Suggest to choose one of the two tire dealers, stick with them, and have them solve this for you.

Yes. The tire shop might be able to solve the pressure sensor problem you are having, or they may refer you to another shop or dealership. Ask them. Tire pressure sensing requires a sensor in each wheel (part of the valve stem ass’y),charged batteries in each sensor, and a receiver inside the car (powered by car battery), which connects to the car’s dashboard computer to display the pertinent data. Problems with any of those can cause problems. It’s also possible for the system to become confused which wheel is at which position, sometimes a scan tool session is required to retrain the system where each wheel is located. The other common problem with the tire pressure systems are that the spare tire on some systems is also checked, and driver’s don’t consider a flat spare tires as a possible culprit for a warning message.

Neither one has any obligation to replace the wheel . That is a wear item and you could have damaged it by hitting a curb . The dealer can possibly order a wheel to match what you have .
I doubt if the cause of the tire failure will ever be known so I say just give up on that .

I appreciate your explanation of how the sensing system works, which I had no clue about. Is the valve stem itself a possible culprit?

NO …

A valve stem wouldn’t cause a pop and if it was severed, wouldn’t hold air.

Op keeps claiming it’s on the same wheel, yet in the body of the text says the first blowout was on the left rear, and the second blowout was on the right rear. The OP is confused.

Brings to mind my wife’s car. One wheel on the right side has had 5 tires in 50K miles. First problem was a sidewall bubble in the right front that happened right after the tire warranty (new car) ran out. The second time, with that wheel rotated to right rear, she hit something and tore the sidewall. The third new tire I replaced all 4 and wanted all to be the same. The last new tire, this time right front, was another sidewall tear, we don’t know why. Just a coincidence that all failures were the same wheel.

I know the wheel would be on us. Can wheels be accurately assessed to determine if there’s something wrong with them? Is that more something the dealer would do or the tire people? It is possible the original blowout event could have damaged the wheel I suppose. We were on a raised road with no shoulder at all and had to drive about 200 feet or a little more to get off the road.

This is why the damage that cause the tire to fail can’t be assessed, driving on the flat tire added more damage to the point the original damage can’t be found.

If the wheel is bent or corroded, it can leak. Is the tire deflated? If there is a slow leak form corrosion/leaking bead, the low-pressure warning light will illuminate when the pressure is 6 psi below normal inflation. The tire will not rupture while driving due to a slow leak.

I am so sorry for the typo in the initial post that confused everyone. If you’ll look back to it, I’ve edited it to correct it. It is definitely the tires on the same wheel, right rear, than have blown out. I am not confused but I have succeeded in confusing everyone else with my mistake! I tried to reply sooner but the site seems to have some kind of quota system and only allows a certain number of posts per day or hour or something.

First, the Right Rear position is the most likely position to encounter debris. It’s nearest to the edge of the road and debris kicked up by the front tire tumbles into the rear.

Second, while it seems impossible, the odds of 2 tires failing in the same position within a short period of time is not only not zero, but is probably in the million to one category - BUT - there are 250 million cars on the road in the US - ergo, it is more likely than you might think.

And a “Bang” usually means hitting something. One doesn’t always see what they hit, particularly if the debris was flat on the ground and kicked up by the front tire.

1 Like

With the first event, there was a clear hold in the middle of the tread. With the second, the tire folks cannot find where the damage is. The events were nearly identical from a driver perspective: a POW sound, the activation of the Low Tire Pressure light, and the very quick deflation of the right rear tire.

The sound both times was like a muffled gunshot. We were not aware of hitting debris but it is easy to miss seeing a small item I know. Interesting about the right rear being the most likely to have damage, makes sense but I hadn’t thought of that. Still, it got my attention because I’ve been driving for over 50 years and had only 2 blowouts in my life, two weeks apart on new tires and on the same wheel, so I’m suspicious.

No problem, thanks for the clarification

I can only see two possible ways this kind of thing may happen. Either the rim is defective somehow, or something is going on with that right rear tire position. Like the brake pads are dragging and the friction is causing the rim to heat up. You could go for a little drive and then compare the feel of heat on both rear rims to see if heat is causing the issue to the tire.

I’m curious how your second tire could suffer a catasrophic blowout, yet the tire people can’t find any damage. This just seems odd. Do you trust their work?

Well you never know. A bang and the sensor went off. Coming home from school my wife said she thought she heard something hit the car. I found a bb sized indentation in the quarter panel. Yeah she was shot at.

I definitely have my doubts about one of them, we had never used them before but the warranty directed us there. The second dealer is the one we usually use but they couldn’t find anything either. I am not sure how deeply they analyzed but based on info I’ve gotten here I will be asking more questions. Seems awfully odd to me too

Yup, it can happen.
Circa 1970, one of my co-workers was driving on the Garden State Parkway at night, and he thought he heard both a gunshot and the sound of something impacting the right side of his car. When he got home shortly thereafter, he looked carefully at the right side of his Maverick and saw nothing… until he finally noticed what looked like a bullet impact dent on the right front wheel rim.

If you had a blowout, I guarantee they can find the hole. If it isn’t visible on the outside, it certainly will visible be on the inside.

Unless you have a cracked wheel instead. But there will be evidence. Have you had the tire replaced the second time? Unless the wheel is cracked, if you have the road hazard warrantee, they have to honor it even if you go through a dozen tires (except if they find you poking holes in the side of the tire).