More disgusting design from the chimpanzee engineers

I think the only ones who deserve an apology are the chimpanzees

:tongue:

Oo ooo ahhhhhhā€¦ ooā€¦ ahhhhā€¦
Thanks, but no need. The chimpanzees sleep just fine.

Iā€™m never worried about weather there may be a few ounces of old oil left in the engineā€¦hiding in all those nooks and cranniesā€¦hell, thatā€™s what keeps things lubricated until
the oil pressure builds up.

I doubt that there is an engine out there that when you refill the oilā€¦you put in exactly the amount listed in the owners manual. The amount of time you let the old oil drain, the levelness of the car, Itā€™s always a few ounces one way or the other.

As long as the dip stick is at, or very near the full mark when Iā€™m doneā€¦I could care less.

I think that there are many, many, better arguments to make about engineering than weather the engine takes 4,ā€¦4.3,ā€¦or 4.6 quarts of oil.

I did the spark plugs on a 2004 Altima with the 3.5 today, and when you have to take off the wipers blades and wiper cowl to access the bolts to remove the intake plenumā€¦under which are hidden the coils and plugsā€¦then you can swear at the engineers as you tape up your bleeding hands.

Find something more interesting to complain about @Mellot.

Yosemite

Like people who canā€™t spell my name?
http://yosemitesamquotes.com/

I pulled out the Service Manual for my '81 Accord(r.i.p.).
The oil capacity for an oil/filter change is 3.7qt, to fill a dry engine 4.2qt: 0.5qt extra.
And this is a little 1.8l SOHC without a variable valve timing system.
So this trapped oil thing is nothing new.

You want to complain about a design? How about having to remove a kick panel, pull back the carpet, and remove the gas pedal assembly to change a cabin air filter? Just did that one today.

How about having to remove a wheel and inner fender panel to change a battery? Remove a front bumper cover to replace a headlight bulb?

Hondas remain among the easiest cars to service and are more maintenance accessible than many cars out there.

And not to flog a dead horse, but even the old Chevy 350, which held 5 quarts after an oil change, took about 6 from a dry fill after engine disassembly.

Does the crv have a oil cooler on it?

Sorry @melott, didnā€™t mean to spell your name wrong. I was just thinking of mellons when I was writing that. As in ā€œthem are some mellonsā€.

Thanks for the link though.

Yosemite

ā€œSay yer prayers varmint!ā€

I know I swore at whoever designed the system for retaining the headlight lamps in my daughterā€™s 2001 Civic.

And on my old Toyota pickup, the book said you had to remove the front bumper to access the retaining rings that held the headlights in. I never did, I figured out a ā€œworkaroundā€.

TSM, my '90 Toyota pickup truck required the front grill assembly to be removed to change the headlight bulbs. I had that truck for 17 years and did that job 3 times. The first time, I made the mistake of only changing one bulb, and had to do the other bulb two weeks later. The last two times, I replaced both bulbs together.

Ok, Cartoon time is over now @melott, but it was fun watching those oldies that I grew up with though. In the 70s when I was a teen motor headā€¦working with my dadā€¦we had to take a break on Saturday mornings so dad could watch the Roadrunner. I still can remember him roaring with laughter as the coyote always got the short end of the stick.

Yosemite

I took a different approach than that defined by Toyota. I forced the plastic grill part open around the two top aluminum lamp retainer screws with a couple of BMFSDs, managed to get the top two screws out with a lot of cussinā€™ and bent the retainer down on its two lower ears. The replaced the lamp, bent the retainer back up, and put two new screws in to hold it and the lamp in place. To my amazement, the aluminum retainerā€™s ears never broke. They were more malleable than I gave them credit for. Itā€™s not a procedure Iā€™d recommend, but it worked for me for years.

Thatā€™s why grinders and sawzalls were invented. To redesign the faults of the engineering team.

Though Iā€™m a little more careful with others cars, Iā€™ve hacked a chunk here and there myself.
Lucky I canā€™t get my hands on Dynamite!!!

Yosemite

You have to remove the wheel and pull the panel inside the wheel well to change the low beams on my 2005 Accord. The high beams are easily reached under the hood next to the radiator. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Oh, and cars arenā€™t design for repairs, they are design for assembly in the factory. Just about everything under the hood of a modern car requires removing several things in the way before you can get to it.

I have one that might be difficult to beat; the water pump change in my Mazda CX-9 would require that the engine and the transmission be removed from the car. Now that is a one hour job!

@jtsanders Yes, Design for Assembly (DFA) rules the roost, except for military vehicles. The first car to fully get this treatment was the 1986 Ford Taurus made in the Atlanta assembly plant.
Unfortunately, repairability and maintainability suffered severely. On the High Output V6, the rear spark plugs are inaccessible and require the engine to be removed in order to change them.

The Hummer, military version, by contrast, had it specified that the engine should be able to be removed and replaced in just over one hour.

It should not be difficult to design a car that is easily repaired and serviced, but someone (government?) has to SPECIFY it!

When the FIRST line in the spark plug replacement section says, remove engine, see section A1
I think the Germans at Porsche get the nod for THAT instruction on the mid 80ā€™s 911 turboā€¦

When the first line in the rear brake pad replacement section says, remove the rear axle assembly, see section F3ā€¦
I think the Brits get the nod for that one on the Jaguar XJ sedan

Since Italian cars require a ride-along mechanic, Iā€™m not sure they HAVE engineers, just incredibly talented body designers and craftsmenā€¦

And I donā€™t even want to get into the weirdness that exists in French cars! 3 bolt wheels? Sacre Blu!

Plenty of chimps to go around the world!

As I know all too well. I have taught physics to them at their start. They never wanted to learn what was going on, only a cookbook to do the problems. Never get the idea that once you get outside the same problem, the cookbook wonā€™t work and you have to learn whatā€™s going onā€¦