Mom and Dad Need a New Car

A couple of suggestions:

1. Do what they do on the house-hunter-type shows on HGTV; when a couple is looking, they have them list what they want in a house. Write down what the car needs to do or what characteristics it needs for both of them. The list will likely eliminate 80-90% of the options.
  2. Look at the cars parked at places where there are a lot of seniors.
  3. Look at the cars their friends are driving.
  4. On any test drives, have them simulate the typical activities they’ll need to do, not just the driving part. Does your dad need something to grab when he gets in and out of the car? Can they easily open the doors (trunk/back hatch included), fasten the seat belts, see the controls, and the like? Car reviews are typically done by younger folks, so they’re not interested in those aspects.

Toyota Rav4. It’s fairly small and has seating position that her husband can get into and out of more easily. Mazda’s typically have very low seating. Maybe a CX-3 or CX-5 would work.

Nothing we can type in print will ever get you to the right vehicle.
you MUST try various vehicles . . in person . .to find what they need.
Exactly like me looking for my haulers as I take my band gear with me truck shopping.
My dad took his bass violin with him car shopping.
YOU . .take mom and dad .
NO FIT . . NO SALE

My Uber suggestion is in case mom is not really ready/able to drive. The OP may have a difficult choice to make.

Ken I gave you one agree because I can’t give you two.

Thanks Volvo.
I’ve found that a common occurance here at my Ford dealer too.
People bring with them their 200 gallon water tank, dogs, wheel chair, teepee, ladders . .and grandma to make sure the new vehicle fits their needs .
For ME , EVERYTHING I haul is square !
These days , most of the smaller crossovers and many SUVs are FAR too angular. And despite their LISTED cubic feet of space it’s awfully darn hard to fit my SQUARE cabinets in there with any efficiency of space usage.

• you just can not read about the any vehicle’s useability , you have to be there .

My wife’s grandpa fit best in the old 73 full size Impala.
Dad’s 1955 Epiphone bass violin fits well in his 07 Focus 5door.
My aunt Ruth need a STEP . .not just a running board . .to get in her van. Something she could stand on with both feet to get turned around to sit.

My age is 74 and my IQ is,no doubt, less than that. I don’t have a lot of test drive experience, but my wife and I drove through Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Nevada in a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and found it quite comfortable and.easy to get in and out. The visibility was very good. Before I retired, I drove a Ford Escape Hybrid from my institution’s fleet on a 250 mile round trip to a conference and liked it as well. The father of a friend swapped his full sized Buick for a Toyota RAV 4. This gentleman was over 90 and found the RAV 4 more comfortable. Cars are like shoes–you have to try them on for fit. I should know,–my shoe size is a,14AA.

Do try a Subaru Legacy with the eyesight system. The legacy has the seats at chair height, the doors are positioned a little further forward so getting in and out is easier for many people with limited mobility.

The Legacy may be a little larger than you mother might like, but the eyesight is the best system for accident avoidance. It beat all others in testing and was the only one to completely stop the car in time. Considering their age, this might be a good investment.

Try a Kia Soul. I see lots of old people driving them.

As I read your post OP, what popped immediately into my mind is the Toyota Avalon. It’s a medium sized, safe, very reliable car, and hosting a little bit of luxury. It’s something your parents deserve.

insightful: You are correct regarding the Kia Soul. I know two people in their mid-late 60s who drive and love them. Another plus is the warranty and they are fairly inexpensive.

The Scion xB was similar, lots of room, tall, easy in/out, but they quit making them. Most were sold to 50+ market, not the ‘youth market’ Scion wanted.

Scion now has a model that resembles the discontinued Toyota Matrix, and is easy to get in and out of and small enough to be easy to park. It’s also good looking.

I’ve rented at least 5 Kia Soul’s in the past 4 years on business trips. Easy to get in and out of…and a comfortable vehicle for it’s size.

Could consider checking out a Mercury Grand Marquis… Can find good used ones with pretty low miles and at a good cost for your $$… and they go forever with just basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes etc.) also they are seen as “older” people’s cars anyways.

The lady who will be the primary driver does not want a BIG car. That takes a Grand Marquis out of the picture.

Unfortunately the desires of the lady who will be the primary driver must take a back seat to the capabilities of the gentleman she will be driving around.

My mom didn’t want a giant van, either, but had to get one when dad needed a wheelchair because there was no other choice.

texases: Absolutely. I’m sure the Kia Soul giant rapping hamsters were also not aimed at a 50+ customer base.

Scion in general was targeted at the youth market. The median age of Scion buyers ended up being 35.

I love the hamsters. My guess is that the Soul missed the target too. Shows how much marketing people know. :smile:

I looked at a Kia Soul recently and the service writer said it was the best seller they had and he did not think there was an age group it appealed to more than others.