Looking For an SUV's with Column-mounted Shifter

Evenin’ Folks.

I’m currently looking into what car I want to drive after I get my license.

I’ve decided that I’ll possibly go with an SUV (automatic), however I’m a bit partial on having the gear shift in the steering column. Possibly because the cars I’ve learned to drive with were a first generation Pontiac Montana and a 2001 GMC Sierra. Both had the gear shift in the column.

So I was wondering if anyone else out there knew of some SUV’s that had a column mounted shiftier. It sort of looks like the 2001 Honda CR-V might have a column shifter. The rest after that looks like its in the upper console. Which I guess I could settle for, but I want to see what’s available with the column shift first.

I’m not looking for anything shiny and new, I don’t think any newer models have this feature anymore anyway. I’d even look into a truck, but it has to be amazing on gas. Any other advice or tips appreciated.

UPDATE
I’ve had a few comments reasoning that I should get a car. So here are a few reasons why I decided to go with an SUV that I wrote in a reply.

“...I find driving a small car a bit difficult for myself since I am taller than average. I have driven the Ford Fiesta, and it was fun to drive, however, I found that the small head space made me feel uncomfortable, even a bit nauseated. I also found that sitting so low was uncomfortable, and I am planning to use my car for longer trips.

The other downside is that winters here can be brutal. So having a bit higher coverage would be beneficial.

I also plan to use my car to drive my grandparents around. My grandma doesn’t drive, and my grandpa will be getting eye surgery and won’t be able to drive for a time. So a car thats a bit low would be hard for them to get in and out of.”
The rest of my family are also very tall, and would appreciate the leg room.

As a woman who drove column shifter vehicles by preference for years I have some suggestions for you.

• Top priority is choosing a vehicle that is in good, safe, sound condition! If buying used, be sure to take it to YOUR mechanic for a thorough look over BEFORE buying. It’s well worth the cost.
  • Look for a vehicle within your budget. If that means buying smaller with minimal bells and whistles that is far better than going over budget. And remember to factor in the sales tax, licensing, and insurance premiums plus money for maintenance and inevitable repairs as important parts of that budget!
  • Especially when buying your first car, buy only what you need and can afford and not your wish list. It is how to minimize or, hopefully, stay out of debt.
  • Be sure to take any vehicles that make your short list for extended test drives over roads and in traffic conditions you typically will drive on a regular basis. A good idea is to figure out a “test track route” that you test drive each vehicle over so you have an accurate comparison of ride and handling.
  • As to a column shifter versus a console shifter, be open to trying a console shifter. Pay particular attention to how physically comfortable or not ANY shifter is for you to handle. For example, in my case any shifter that requires squeezing a button is painful for me so I avoid those.
  • You will find very few, if any, column shifters still available in any vehicles of reasonable age, mileage, and condition. So do not let your preference for a column shifter, reasonable as your preference is, limit which vehicles make your short list.
  • Be sure not to focus only on the type of shifter as you evaluate vehicle components. Pay attention to ease of getting in and out; seat comfort; ease of using all the controls, not just the shifter; how well seat and mirrors adjust such you can comfortably and accurately reach the gas and brake pedals and also make reliable use of what you can see in all the mirrors; how good is your driver visibility looking out the windshield and being able to check blindspots; ease of accessing and using the cargo area; etc.

Good luck.

P.S. Just to give you an idea, I learned to drive in a combination of a tiny, bare bones econobox with a console shifter and a large sedan with a column shifter. I drove that econobox for some years until I could afford larger cars with column shifters for many years. A few years ago I had to settle for going back to a console shifter due to unavailability of column shifters anymore.

It’s a matter of becoming familiar with whatever vehicle you have; the shifter, reading the instrumentation, reaching for and using various controls for lights and air-conditioning and heater and radio, etc. all by familiarity and habit. Any vehicle new to you will seem strange at first. The more experienced you become as a driver and the more vehicles you get to drive will gradually make adjusting to differences between vehicles easier. Safe and happy motoring to you.

5 Likes

Checking vehicle specs on the Pontiac Montana and GMC Sierra vehicles you have learned to drive in, I see that the Montana is a front wheel drive minivan and the Sierra is a rear wheel drive truck. You may wish to take note what you do and don’t like about the handling of each and compared to each other and keep that in mind when looking for what to buy. The difference between front and rear wheel drive for traction and handling is most notable in snow, ice, and slick rainy road conditions.

Also, keep in mind that SUVs of any size and trucks are more rollover prone than sedans of any size in situations such as steering over-correction or being hit in an accident, due to the higher center of balance of SUVs and trucks than of sedans. That is the downside of having a vehicle with higher ground clearance. However, depending on the typical road and winter weather driving conditions you drive in, higher clearance can be beneficial as well as the benefits of a higher seating position.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that all SUVs and trucks are not very fuel efficient. Your “amazing on gas” is more likely to be “shocking” on gas!

3 Likes

Forget the SUV if fuel mileage is important . Also forget being set on something as minor as the gear shift placement. More important things like , are controls handy , can you see out in all directions , do you feel comfortable driving the vehicle. Vehicles are just like life , concessions have to be made at times .

My personal opinion is that a new driver should have a small front wheel drive automatic car

3 Likes

Yes, a small car is usually the most logical.

However I find driving a small car a bit difficult for myself since I am taller than average. I have driven the Ford Fiesta, and it was fun to drive, however, I found that the small head space made me feel uncomfortable, even a bit nauseated. I also found that sitting so low was uncomfortable, and I am planning to use my car for longer trips.

The other downside is that winters here can be brutal. So having a bit higher coverage would be beneficial.

I also plan to use my car to drive my grandparents around. My grandma doesn’t drive, and my grandpa will be getting eye surgery and won’t be able to drive for a time. So a car thats a bit low would be hard for them to get in and out of.

Haha! Yes, this is true, and I have accounted for that. As much as I enjoy driving trucks, I don’t think I’ll get one myself.

I have updated my post to include a few reasons why I’ve decided to go with an SUV rather then a car.

Thank you for all your advice Marnet. I appreciate the wisdom of someone with more experience.

I have updated my original post to include some reason why I decided to go with an SUV.

But I will try to be a little less stubborn as to where the gear shift is. As it is just a personal preference.

Forget about the column shifter, that will limit you to older vehicles that lack many safety features. As for headroom, a compact CUV such as a CRV or a Rav4 should be good, I fit and I need LOTS of headroom.

1 Like

The CR-V has been something I’ve looked into. My grandpa used to own one, said it was very reliable and good on gas. I liked how it wasn’t a massive SUV, and it was comfortable.

I’ll be less stubborn about the gear shift, I realize that it’s not as important. New driver error, heh heh.

That has to be a feeling you have because my 6 foot five inch neighbor fits in our 2018 Ford fiesta just fine . But I see the need for your passenger requirements . That means what ever you want to buy you need to see if they can enter and exit before signing the papers.

If you want something “amazing on gas” and an SUV, you are either looking for a used unicorn or a Tesla Model X. :wink:

Your best bet would probably be a CRV. That should get you in the high 20’s, low 30’s, which I personally don’t consider amazing. But if you must have a large vehicle, that’s about as amazing as it’s gonna get.

1 Like

I am not sure that an elderly person of limited mobility could get in the back of a CRV all that easy.
If I had to transport people like that I am looking at vans with sliding doors .

1 Like

@meg.pony_157208 When looking at SUVs my suggestion is for as new a small model or smaller mid-size as you can afford.

• The newer the vehicle the safer its design.
  • Vehicle and seat height are easy access like you want for your grandparents. Larger SUVs can be too high for those with mobility aging issues.

Since you mention you have rough winters where you are then RUST is something you very much need to look for on any used vehicle you consider buying. Not just easily visible rust on the body but in your pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice have it looked at carefully for rust to the underside – frame, brake lines, etc.

Take time to research known reliability ratings and known problems of the model and year of vehicles making your short list. Consumer Reports available at libraries and bookstores is one good resource. There are also other resources online such as at Edmunds.com. I recommend you research from multiple sources and look for patterns and consensus. For example, recent years of the Chevy Equinox mid-size SUV have worse than average problems with electrical system and electronics.

Another suggestion for you to consider. Do you truly NEED a vehicle of your own? If it is possible to wait a couple years longer before having your own car then do so while saving your money and being able to buy a car with lower age, mileage, and use when you do get a car. Waiting may not be feasible for whatever your situation and actual needs are but if you can wait and save up money in the meantime. Obviously, discuss with your family what the transportation needs and options are for you.

As suggested by others, Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 are excellent small SUVs. I’d add looking at a Mazda CX-5 of recent years. It has good ratings and is comfortable to drive and ride in.

Good question Marnet . I wonder if the grandparents have a vehicle that someone can use to take them places.

They have a Dodge Grand Caravan. Not sure if he’ll let me drive it though, as it is very new and he likes his cars.

It may be awhile yet before he’ll let me drive it for him.

As for waiting until I get my own car. Yes I am going to be waiting. Already been saving up for one since last year.

Yes, those are some cars I have been looking at. Thank you. :slight_smile:

You don’t even have a license yet ? And you are planning on being your grandparents chauffer ? Have you even talked to them about this ?
No offence but we had company recently and the people suggested I let their 16 year old take me someplace. He only had his permit for 3 weeks . No way I was going to ride with him .

Have you discussed this with your parents?