Model year change: impact on value of a new car

How much does the value of a car drop when the model year changes. Example: Toyota is due to release the 2010 Camry HYBRID in April. If dealers still have 2009 Camry HYBRIDs on the lot at that time, what kind of discount should a buyer expect from the listed “dealers cost”.

Slim to none, Camary Hybrids still command full sticker price in most areas. The demand is still strong for these cars. Now if you were buying a pickup then you could haggle a good deal.

It can become something of an issue when it’s older and people start buying less on mileage, book values, etc. and more on how stuff looks. For example, my old boss had a really nice '94 Astro van he was trying to sell for $3,000 which in my opinion was pretty reasonable, but nobody was interested in the thing at that price because it was the last year of that body style that had been used since '86 or something so you saw vans that looked exactly the same for sale in the sub-$1000 range.

But at that point 90%+ of the original purchase price has depreciated away, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

My 2004 F-150 books private party at 4100-4400. That 94 Astro is a $500.00 at best car,no wonder no one bit. How did he ever come up with $3000.00?

Expect no discount on the Hybrid,even with Toyotas’ overall dismal sales.

Things have changed even for the Hybrid. I would not pay anything above sticker for sure

It was a few years ago and it was the top-of-the-line AWD all the options, extended seating and all that, plus a brand-new transmission. I think 3k was a little steep too, but I’d say it was a solid 2k or so. I don’t know if he ever sold the darn thing or not…

That must a be a bare-bones no frills XL model with the base 4.6L and 2WD. Around here an 04 FX4 with the 5.4L will command around $9k or so, assuming normal mileage.

The 2009 version will only be substantially reduced if buyers stop buying them and buy the 2010 version instead. It’s selling for about $1000 below MSRP and there is a $1500 rebate right now. That indicates that Toyota is having trouble selling them.