Mobile phones

An alternator also needs electricity to work. If your battery is totally dead, an alternator can’t charge it. where a generator will.

1 Like

@It_s_Me The advantage I mentioned is that a generator can be run as a motor, where an alternator can’t be run as a motor.
This isn’t an advantage for automobile engines. The MTD garden tractor used the generator as a motor to start the engine. Once the engine was running, it became a generator and charged the battery.
I certainly wouldn’t want to back to the days of the generator on automobiles. Chrysler replaced the generator with the alternator with its 1960 models. The other manufacturers soon did the same. I remember having to replace brushes in the generators of my first cars.

You guys would love “The Last Days of Night” by Graham Moore. It chronicles the “Current Wars” between Edison and George Westinghouse and does so in a well researched yet entertaining manner.

2 Likes

Are you telling me nobody else here has been magnetized by 5G, and I’m the only one?

Thank you for your feedback.

Edison and Ford were best buddies, they ‘invented’ the road trip, as described in “The Vagabonds”. Good book.

No joking, I used to be able to feel magnetic north as a kid when out of the city away from power lines. To my delight, in the summers of '90 and '91, I discovered that when out in the wide open spaces of some western states that were devoid of power lines and cell towers for miles on end that my ability to sense magnetic north returned. But once back in areas with lots of power lines and cell towers the feeling was gone again.

My grandfather also had the same ability to discern magnetic north by feel.

Don’t ask me to explain how it feels. There is no frame of reference I can give to describe it. North just feels north. Oh how I miss being able to sense it just by feel.

I’ve wondered in recent years if I were to take another driving trip out through such empty country if the sense would once again return or if there are now too many high powered cell towers dotting even those empty landscapes with the RF disrupting magnetic discernment.

They also went touring with Harvey Firestone, and sometimes with naturalist John Burroughs (the bearded man on the left):

1 Like

You have keys sticking to your body? :upside_down_face:

Humans have an ancient magnetic sense of direction like pigeons | Daily Mail Online

1 Like

Some people seem to have an inherent sense of direction, and it seems to be totally-lacking in others. When I was in HS, our Friday night “entertainment” consisted of cruising the strip in our town. This was a small city, and it involved driving about 20 blocks South on the main drag, and then turning around for a 20 block North run. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyway, when we would get to the Southern end of the strip, it was necessary to go around the block and then turn left in order to return Northward. A friend of mine invariably turned right after going around the block, and then couldn’t quite figure out why we were still traveling south. No matter how many times this happened to him, and no matter how many times he saw me do it correctly when I was driving, the details of this… complex… maneuver seemed to elude him.

So, this guy actually got lost while going around the block in a town where he had lived for his entire life!

or maybe he had a girl he liked down that block and was checking up on her. LOL

Trust me, that wasn’t it.
No matter how many times we carried out that Friday night routine, I had to tell him, turn right here, Doug. Okay, make another right. Now, another right. Now, make a left.

When you consider that this was the only place where he had ever lived, this bordered on mind-boggling.

1 Like

@weekend-warrior Interesting article! Thank you. :+1::+1::+1:

Nice to have validation that my ability to sense magnetic north when away from the interference of electro-magnetic fields isn’t all that strange after all. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure if that explains my sense of direction, or not. My father had an incredibly-good sense of direction, and mine is also pretty good. While visiting Italy, my friend and I were on a tour bus whose destination was Florence. At one point, I told my friend that if the driver didn’t exit from the Autostrada very soon, we would probably over-shoot that city.

Sure enough, a couple of minutes later, the driver exited from the Autostrada and we were in Florence shortly after that. My friend was amazed, since I had never before been in that part of Italy.

1 Like

maybe you have ESP too.
I can tell when im going to have a problem with my truck weeks before it happens and what it is. or maybe I am just in tune with it.
I can always tell when the there is a problem with the kids before I talk or see them. I get a pit in my stomach. I have told 13 pregnant woman that I knew if they were going to have a boy or girl. and was right on all of them except one. she told me later she just had a miscarriage. who knows, maybe im just a good guesser.

Nah, I doubt it.

About the pregnant women I am the same way I can’ remember the numbers over the years but do remember it started in the 70’s and I have only been wrong one time about seven years back.

1 Like

if someone asks me I would not be able to tell them. it doesnt work that way for me. I have no control of it. it seems to just come out of the blue. I just get a feeling. its strange. or maybe im just weird. lol

Most of the people I know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: would also say I am weird.

1 Like

thanks, that made me laugh.

1 Like