Mobil one oil

I have 2009 F-150 with 9400 miles on it and was thinking about changing over to Mobil One oil. Looking for any for some guidance.

What weigh of oil should I use?

I’m sure your Ford spec’s 5w-20

Use the 5w-20 or 0w-20 of your choice.

While Mobil 1 is a fine product, don’t discount the value of MotorCraft products. Buy synthetic oils based on your avoided costs in the difference in price.

There is no such thing as magic oil. There are those that last longer or flow better when cold …etc…etc, but they don’t make your engine last any longer.

Since the vehicle is still under warranty, I would use a 5W20 Mobil 1 (if that’s what is in your ownwer’s manual), that would be good for just about any driving conditions you may encounter.

After the warranty expires, I would feel more comfortable (for maximum engine life) using 5W30 Mobil 1 in the summer and 0W30 Mobil 1 in the winter.

Use the weight listed in your manual, especially while the vehicle is under warranty.

[i] What weigh of oil should I use? [/i]

What ever it tells you to use in the owner’s manual.

Mobil One is a very good oil, but there are other good oils. Depending on the needs of your car, you can waste money buying the most expensive oil if your car does not need it. Frankly very few cars have any oil related problems or reduced engine life as long as they follow the instructions in the car’s owner’s manual. If you look at the junk yard, you will not find many cars that are there because of any oil related problems other than not following the owner’s manual.

Oil is very important, but more expensive oil with capabilities your car does not need, will not increase the life of your car.

“Mobil One” is a profit center for the Exxon / Mobil Corporation. As if they needed more profit…

’ Profit Centers ’ are the way businesses are run .
What does that have to do with the quality of Mobil 1 oil ?
If anything ?

Autozone, Advance Auto, and others often have Mobil 1 oil on sale for $28 to $30 for five quarts, including a Mobil 1 oil filter (filter alone normally sells for $13). Their filter is considered to be one of the better filters you can get. I stock up when it is on sale. One of them has it on sale throught the end of February.

I have used it in my truck since the first oil change, and now have 183,000 miles on my 01 Silverado. Buy it in sale and it’s not that much more expensive than regular oil (assuming you do your own oil/filter changes). I use it for the peace of mind it gives me. I consider it cheap insurance. I alos use their transmission fluid, having ti changed every 50,000 miles (manual calls for changes every 100,000 miles). Trans fluid stays nice and clean and red all the time,with very little grey gunk on the bottom of the pan. I don’t think you should buy cheap parachutes or cheap oil.

These results can be duplicated with mineral oil for half the cost…It’s whatever works for you…CLEAN oil is FAR more important than type of oil or brand of oil…

Mobil sells mineral oil too, and for most people, it works just as well as Mobil One…

True. #1 thing with motor oil is not brand or dino/synthetic but changing it in a timely manner on a consistent basis with proper spec.

However in the grand scheme of things syntehtic motor oil is not that expensive.

People buy bottled water when essentially free safe tap water is available.

Don’t forget Wallyworld, whose price for 5qts of Mobil 1 is usually in the 20-24 dollar range.

Just to add, stick with the weight of oil stated in the manual. Mobil 1 fully synthetic is very good oil, but synthetic oil was designed to extend oil changes. They maintain their lubricating properties under longer durations than dino oil. That is all. They do not lubricate any better than dino oil. Changing the oil at 5,000 mile intervals or less under typical driving conditions is just wasting synthetic oil.

Can your 2009 F-150 benefit from synthetic oil? Maybe if you routinely tow or haul loads that approach its maximum capacities. However, I believe any benefit you realize in normal use will be marginal, and won’t justify the increased cost.

The makers of synthetic oil do a pretty good job of marketing their products to people whose cars are not manufactured with synthetic oil recommended. They convince people that they can go longer between oil changes if they elect to use synthetic oil in a car that doesn’t require it, but your F-150’s warranty could be voided if Ford or a dealership finds out you are not changing the oil as often as Ford recommends.

If spending the extra money on synthetic oil makes you feel better about your truck, it might be worth it, but only you can decide how spending extra money on maintenance makes you feel. No matter what you do, you need to change your oil at least as often as the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual recommends.

For clarity warranty’s are never voided unless vehicle is titled salvage. However they can deny a specific claim on case by case basis.