Mitsubishi montero sport

Starts sometimes but stalls out when you drive it???

what year, what engine, and how many miles?

1999/140000/3.0

Its broke.

There is some reason it is stalling. This is most likely due to either fuel delivery failure or ignition system failure. These can be tested and verified or excluded. Fuel culprits are clogged filters and dirty injectors. Tired fuel pumps can also be an issue. Ignition culprits are coil problems, ignition module problems, and damaged wiring. Old, worn out spark plugs and bad spark plug wires are also suspect.

That helps. Thanks.

After cigs response i was tempted to sell all my cartalk stocks…

badbearing - you’ve been here a whole bunch of times. Showing up and saying “my car stalls” is about as rookie as it gets. You should know better. So I put as much time & attention into a response as you did into the question. Fair is fair.

If you want answers - tell the whole story - the car…details details details. Everything you know about it. Maintenance history. What you’ve done. What you’ve checked… Check engine light or what? Codes?

Wrong.
I have been here a whole bunch of times. I HAVE NOT stated “my car stalls” more than once or a very few times. and I’m no more rookie than you are.

I see others who were helpful with limited info. If you have no input, then say nothing.

Thanks

I could easily write pages and pages of possible scenarios that could cause a vehicle to “start sometimes but stall out when you drive it” ranging from the driver accidentally leaving the headlights on when parked or letting off the clutch too quickly when taking off from a stop to a vacuum line chafed through somewhere under the hood to a fault in the transmission. Perhaps you have a rodent infestation problem causing an intermittent short or open circuit. Given the level of detail in your post, any guess is a shot in the dark, which is frustrating because we really want to help you with this. This is the automotive equivalent of going to the doctor, saying “it hurts”, and not allowing him to touch you or even look at you and expecting an accurate diagnosis.

It may also help to post from a computer rather than a phone. Don’t ask me how I know…

Im posting from a computer. I did read a few responses from my phone.
I didnt mean to start a big controversy.
Stocks in cartalk was meant in humor. I understand

I thought maybe there was an owner of the same vehicle that had the same problem and could give me a quick easy answer. Its not that far fetched

The info i posted was the only info i had.
Im looking for a second vehicle so i can work on my only vehicle.

Some of you guys get awful testy in here.

Can i delete the post?

Wrong.
I have been here a whole bunch of times. I HAVE NOT stated “my car stalls” more than once or a very few times. and I’m no more rookie than you are.

I see others who were helpful with limited info. If you have no input, then say nothing.

Lighten up man. It wasn’t meant as an insult or an attack. It was asking you to have a moment to look at your own post at which point I actually figured you’d at least smile at yourself and get what I was saying.

I didn’t say that you have repeatedly showed up saying your car stalls. That’s what you did this time. I was just saying that you’ve been on here enough that I’d think you’d know people need lots of info to give any helpful info.

So why don’t you just lighten up and give the info. Maybe your post could read like this:

"Hi guys. I have a [year] [make] [model] with [mileage] miles on it. It has an [automatic/manual] transmission and the [engine]. I’m having a couple of problems with. First [here’s where you describe exactly what you mean by “sometimes starts”]. Second, [here’s where you say everything you can about the stalling].

[now you write a paragraph on maintenance - plugs, wires, filters…]

[now you write a paragraph on what you or anyone else has done to try to figure this out…]

Did you read my previous posts?

Im a little insulted now. I do know to give as much info as possible.

This isnt my first day here. as you know

I stated earlier that the info i gave originally was THE ONLY INFO I HAD

OK, guys. The humor didn’t get picked up on by either party. Want to start fresh?