Mitsubishi Mirage 2000 P0442 code

Hello! We recently took our car to get scanned in order to fix issues before a smog check. We received code P0442. I was wondering where we can find the hoses that run from the EVAP system to find the leak? The mechanic told us it might be one of the hoses. Thank you!

The best way to find the leak is to have a smoke test done.

The mechanic said that it was a small leak and to check if there’s any physical damage to the lines. We just don’t know where these lines are located.

Why isn’t he looking at the lines and performing this diagnosis? This is like going to a doctor for an abdominal pain, and he says “it’s probably your appendix, it needs to come out, here’s a scalpel”.

He was gonna charge us so we would rather try to do it ourselves. It was only a diagnosis and he was already busy.

This is not something you’re going to do yourself unless you’re a very experienced do it yourselfer, and your question tells me you aren’t. Pay the guy and let him fix the car.

3 Likes

My dad and I have always worked on our cars (except when we had an engine rebuilt). I just need guidance or a diagram. Thank you.

Here’s some information . . .

The code doesn’t mean “You have a leak”

It means the evap system couldn’t achieve a certain amount of vacuum within the specified amount of time

Not that could be due many different things, such as

fuel filler cap has a rotten seal

purge valve can’t pull a vacuum, perhaps because the diaphragm is blown or it’s not hooked up correctly to its vacuum source

fuel filler hose(s) are rotten

fuel module seal(s) are rotten

fuel tank itself has some kind of pinhole

evap hoses/pipes are split

fuel filler cap isn’t properly secured

pcm isn’t properly grounding the evap purge valve

vent valve is stuck open

and so forth

first thing you do is make sure the fuel filler cap is in good shape, and that it’s properly secured

if the cap is rotten and/or wasn’t properly secured, take care of that situation and hope the code goes from current code to history code on its own

But at the end of the day, I agree with @old_mopar_guy . . . it’s best to pay a shop to properly diagnose and repair the car

but if you don’t want to go that route, I already gave you a lot of good information

3 Likes

Thank you! This is actually helpful!