Missing catalytic converter on a certified pre-owned vehicle

I had a book I can’t find that was titled “What To Do About Your Bad Car–An Action Manual for Lemon Owners”. It seems to me that there was one case where a car was delivered to the owner without a radiator–so much for the pre-delivery check. I had a professor when I was in graduate school that bought a new 1962 Chevy II. The sticker plainly listed a charge for antifreeze, but the radiator froze during the first cold snap–the radiator contained just tap water. The dealer had to make the repairs. Although I hope that conditions have improved since the 1960s when the book was written, I’m not surprised that nobody bothered to check as to whether the Volvo had the required catalytic converter.

I have posted 4 times in this thread that the car was not a CPO car. This Forum can get pretty stuborn as I am sure there are still people that don’t believe there is a difference in a car that is accepted into a manufactures CPO program and just a Dealers attempt to move a vehicle.

That is not the most distressing issue,what is, is the acceptance of the idea that mechanics routinely “blow off” work that they are suppose to be doing and that mechanics are outright cheats,thats the disturbing part.

I can temper this distress with the knowledge that most that are crying “cheat” have never turned a wrench professionally for any period of time.

Hi everyone - OP here - I haven’t left the building or checked out - just actually had to go to work this week, and deal with my car woes. So I’m pleased to report that the story, as of right now, has a happy ending:
-I called Volvo USA and confirmed with them that the car is a certified POV; I reported the situation to them and they put their regional manager on alert.
-The selling dealer did the right thing and installed a new catalytic converter which they ordered and overnighted from Volvo (I confirmed this with my contact at Volvo USA).
-The selling dealer also re-detailed the car and returned it to me, very clean and shiney, on Tuesday of this week.
-The selling dealer agreed to reimburse me for the cost of having another Volvo dealer, the one I will be using for service, take a thorough look at the car for my piece of mind.
-The manager of the service department personally, in person, apologized to my 85-year-old mother for everything that happened.
-Another manager called me directly and apologized profusely and explained that this was certainly not an intentional action (I agree); what happened is what an earlier poster suggested - the technician cleared the code and hoped for the best and the check engine light didn’t come on again for some reason until I was driving the car. It was just sloppy work. They admitted it.
-Yes the car is a CPO vehicle. I have the correct documentation.
-Yesterday, the car passed inspection with no problems.
-I am very happy with the car. It looks great and is a ton of fun to drive.
-For the practical posters who suggested I get rid of the car and buy a Camry or a Corolla……I hear you…but let me say that in my life, since the age of 18, I have owned a '73 Super Beetle, two Corollas, a Camry and a '97 Odyssey. I have been practical ALL my driving life with the cars I have owned and driven. And you know, at the age of 49, with my kids older, I just want to have a little fun. My days of carpooling a bazillion kids around are over and I am just loving my new little car. I have never had a car where people stop me and say, “What is that? It’s beautiful!” Everyone wants a ride. So for now, it’s all good. Thanks to all of you who posted. I loved reading everyone’s comments and I found the shared information very, very useful. You all really helped me make good decisions on how to manage the problem. And as for me, with a little luck, and regular attention to service (which I am very good at doing!), I will happily drive this car for many, many years. Thank you everyone! C30sad is now C30HAPPY!

I am very glad to hear that it is turning out well for you!
Thank you for reporting back to us, because it is actually fairly rare for us to be updated by OPs.

And, for those who said that this could not possibly have been a genuine Certified Pre-Owned Volvo, I submit that nothing in life is an absolute. Mistakes happen and incompetent employees do exist. (Yes, believe it or not, there are incompetent mechanics out there, and it is permissible to mention this reality even if one has not “swung a wrench” for a living. Just as there are incompetent doctors, and engineers, and pilots, and teachers, etc., there are incompetent mechanics.)

While a CPO vehicle–if tested properly–will likely have a higher probability of being a reliable vehicle as compared to a non-CPO vehicle, this just helps to remind all of us that nothing should automatically be taken at face value.

“And you know, at the age of 49, with my kids older, I just want to have a little fun”.

You’re too young to have a sporty car. That’s the problem with you young people–you just want to toss practicality out the window! Good for you. I’m in my late sixties and a couple of years ago my doctor wrote a prescription for me that said for continued good mental health, I need to get a Mazda Miata. My wife thinks that generic medicine is o.k. and wanted me to fill the prescription with a Pontiac Soltice that she saw at a good price. I don’t think I could take this generic substitute–for one thing the Solstice had an automatic transmission.

You did exactly the right thing in trading the Odyssey for a C30. You managed to get out of the minivan. Minivans are a pain. When a group of people need to go someplace, or someone needs something bulky hauled from one place to another, the person with the minivan always gets a call. Now if I can only figure out how to trade my Uplander minivan for a Miata- - -

Triedaq - Very funny! I had an experience this summer that almost put me over the edge. A friend was moving, and asked to borrow the Odyssey (those of you who know this van may know that the 3rd seat folds down really easily and you can remove the two captain’s chairs from the middle and have a BIG space for STUFF), and ended up keeping it for 3 days longer than she said she would, and returned it with the gas gauge on empty and the back SO filthy, I spent a good long time down at the local car wash, putting quarter after quarter in the vaccuum machine attempting to get things back to “normal.” I’m no longer a free moving service and when I have to go someplace with more than 3 people, someone ELSE can drive!!

“A friend was moving, and asked to borrow the Odyssey…”

That doesn’t fit my definition of a friend. Friends treat each other with more respect than that. Maybe you should sell it to her an borrow it sometime. Leave it in the same condition she left it for you. BTW, you can use your home vacuum to clean the van. Even if you fill the bag, it’s less expensive than the car wash vacuum.

I my experience that mechanic will no longer be allowed to give CPO certifications,that is if he has a job at all after this. If I was Service Manager or even Shop Foreman he would be gone,just can’t be trusted.

This is a justifiable reason to be fired,no question. You dont mess up on CPO cars,not even once. I can understand the code clearing but what about the visual inspection of the exhaust,how can that be explained?

With a minimum 20 minute test drive the light should have come on during the test drive.

Did the Dealer ever venture a guess where the catalytic converter went? they just dont fall off,and then for someone to put a test pipe in,what is the explaniation for that?

(b)The dealership better do the only thing it can do. Get a cat on there now. They bought a car at auction with the intent of selling it. They did sell it, however, in the condition you describe they sold a car illegally. Not only EPA narcs would love to hear about this, but, also, your state’s Attorney General, and, how about your newspaper or local TV station? The dealer should have snagged your car back so fast it would make everbody’s head spin. They broke the law. They are in trouble and they know it. Do not let them buffalo you into paying for this item. You need to get mad and let them know you know they messed up big time.(/b)

“…a couple of years ago my doctor wrote a prescription for me that said for continued good mental health, I need to get a Mazda Miata.”

Triedaq, I think you’ve found a great doctor and should stick with him.