Misshapen CV boot

I have a '98 civic and recently got the cv axles replaced. I just noticed that the left front outer cv boot is sort of “sucked in.” It’s not torn, it looks like it was somebody squeezed one of the bellows in, but I can’t get it back into shape. I didn’t like the way it looked so I took it back to the shop and they said that it was a normal condition and nothing to worry about. Well, dammit, I am worried about it because it sure doesn’t seem normal. Does anyone know if this is a condition that requires attention? Thanks.

Is there any chance we could get a picture? I think a lot of the newer CV boots look funny.

Chang this to read that I agree that it isn’t normal.

I know exactly what you’re talking about and have done several boot changes myself. I wouldn’t worry about it. It is deformed probably because there is a bit of a vacuum in the boot, it was squeezed when it shouldn’t have been, and the air (or lack of) is trapped between the two clamps. It’s job is to flex, so as long as it is flexing during rotation and turns, which I’m sure it is, the problem might take care of itself. I don’t see anyone being willing to open up the clamp to release the vacuum condition, it might cause more harm than good.

It’s not normal and you’re being brushed off by the shop stating it’s normal.
A pooched boot is usually caused by the boot being stretched out too much on the axle shaft.

The small end of the boot and clamp should be carefully inspected to make sure the boot is being clamped in the proper spot on the shaft.
If not, removing the small clamp and pushing the small end of the boot towards the joint itself will generally cure this.

This same thing can occur on steering rack bellows (boots) if they’re extended too far.