Misfiring in a 99 Nissan Sentra

I have a 99 Nissan Sentra (1.6L) that began having misfiring issues. It got so bad that it eventually died in the middle of the freeway. The mechanic I took it to said I needed a new distributor. So, I replaced the distributor (including making sure the timing was good), plus the plugs, wires, cap, & rotor, and a new air filter for good measure. I’m STILL having slight misfiring problems, however. Another mechanic friend took a quick look at it, and pointed out that when it misses, you can hear a slight clicking sound inside the distributor cap, which he said sounded like it is arcing inside, only there is no visible evidence of arcing (i.e. scorching). I’ve already replaced the cap & rotor a second time, just in case the first pair were somehow faulty. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have the codes read at a parts store and post them.

If those part are made in China, THAT could be the problem. Seriously! We get a lot of inferior products from China.

The “check engine light” should come on ever time there is a misfire. Someone needs to read the trouble codes to see what’s causing the misfire. I find it hard to believe you haven’t noticed the CEL.