Mini Idle for a Month

I live in a dry-climate location (Colorado). My 2007 Mini Cooper will not be driven for 30 days. Should I be worried about any gaskets or seals in the engine drying up and then the car developing oil leaks?

My opinion would be no, but a garage or some other type of climate controlled environment would be preferable.

Nope . . . just fill the gas tank to 3/4, check the oil, make sure it is safe and take your 30 day trip. When you return, check the oil, look around the engine and exhaust fro critters, start the car and top-off the tank with gas (don’t get into the habit of filling the tank to full, not a good idea every time). Run it to fully warm-up and drive it gingerly for a few miles. Should be good as when you parked it. Rocketman

No worries. 30 days is not a long time for a car to sit idle. You don’t need to do anything special. Park it and forget it.

Many new cars are sitting on dealers lots for at least that long.

You want to disconnect the battery. Otherwise it’ll be dead when you return.

Tester

Only thing I might do is put some gas stabilizer (Stabil, for example) in the tank. Is this going to be a recurring trip? If so, I would get a battery tender instead of disconnecting the battery.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. They have made me feel much better. I have a battery tender already and will use it. Thanks again.

When you get back from your trip, make sure to take it out for a nice long drive on the highway, atleast 10~20 miles. It could be possible for the tires to get flat spots on them and they’ll need rounded out again.