Mercury Mountaineer

Any connection between the cruise control switch and a failed starter? I rarely use the cruise control on my 2000 Mountaineer (purchased used two years ago) but did yesterday. I arrived at my destination and an hour later the car wouldn’t start. Dealer says the cruise control switch was never fixed after the recall. He says I need a new starter.

None that I can think of. I would get a second opinion from a good independent mechanic in your area. A bad starter is not out of the question however. I would get that cruise control fixed as well because it could be a dangerous situation.

Description of Recall: 2000 Mercury Mountaineer
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.

I wouldn’t doubt that you need a starter

Should take a competent mechanic with a multimeter only a few minutes to diagnose a bad starter.

After 10 years, the starter’s fair game, in my opinion

Did the starter fail or is the battery dead? Get the recall done. Apparently the switch shorts out and causes fires. It’s in the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks everyone. Too late for the second opinion mechanic since it was towed to the dealer (40 miles from home). But it was the dealer service guy who informed me of the cruise control recall and the horror stories involved. It’s being fixed gratis, so that’s a good thing. Battery was fine- wouldn’t jump and all accessories worked so I knew it wasn’t the problem.