New car buying advice

I’m wavering between a 1997 Saab 900 SE with 70,000 miles or a 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 62,387 Miles.

The Hyundai will be much less expensive to maintain and repair. The Saab is probably more fun to drive, but, because of its age and less than sterling reputation, will be considerably less reliable, taking away much of the fun.

Personally, I think this is a no-brainer; run away from the Saab.

Used cars can be a big money pit if you are only taken over someone else’s headache.
1)How much are they asking?
2) Both cars would need to be checked out by a third party mechanic.
3) Maintenance service records.
4) Car fax report

thanks, I’m waiting on the saab carfax. the hyundai seems great but I’m hesitant because it was in metarie, LA during Katrina so I need to get it inspected for flood damage. http://rick-hendrick-chevrolet.ebizautos.com/detail-2005-hyundai-elantra-4dr_sdn-2939413.html

Are these private sales or dealer sales? If private, you need to find out why the current owner wants to sell the car. They are very different cars. Why do you need a car? What do you want from it? You need to prioritize your needs and desires for a car. When you do that, you can better decide between the two.

Be careful with the Saab. I had a 99 9-3 which I bought new and it needed a new turbo and headgasket plus many other items. A total money pit. Theres a lot of used cars keep looking.

This perhaps the biggest apples and oranges question I’ve ever seen haha. Honestly, I don’t know why you wouldn’t just get both. A 1997 Saab 900 is worth about $3,000 unless it’s incredibly flawless. The Saab is a high maintenance toy and the Hyundai is a sedate econo ride, so you pretty much need both to balance the other out :wink:

If it was anywhere near Katrina I’d pass. It might be fine, but there could be hidden stuff and an Elantra is a very common car. You can find another one any day of the week.