Melissa's Clothes Drying Jeep

The guys suggested that restricted air flow could have caused overheating of the fan motor. I drew from that answer that they thought the increased resistance to air flow caused higher amps on the fan motor. My experience is that electric load on a fan motor goes up with air flow not the inverse, and believe it’s a function of mass flow vs. resistance. (not intuitive)

I was thinking maybe the hot switches she talked about on the dash board might indicate overheating there due to air being forced out of the ducts, causing a problem. Or maybe the motor failed spontaneously.

Could It Be The Blower Motor/Fan Resistor?

The one in my car gets very hot and installs in the slipstream of the HVAC duct’s forced air for “cooling” or temperature stability. Restricting the air movement would slow or stop the necessary air cooling apparently required by the resistor. My HVAC system defaults to high speed only when the resistor fails, but I’m not sure that is always the case.

While it is certainly possible that the fan motor is blown out, how about suggesting a more obvious first step - changing the fuse!

And before suggesting that the fan could be dead, I would suggest the blower resistor. If there was insufficient airflow past the resistors, these could have melted. (A simple test would be to put the fan on “high” and see if it works then)

This Was On The Car Talk Radio Show. I Believe Melissa Already Checked The Fuse.

I have already agreed with you, previously.