Mechanic takes customer's car on a 97 mph joyride

…and causes damage to the car.
If not for a dashcam, the car owner wouldn’t have been able to prove who did the damage.

I didn’t watch the video, but if it were mine I’d file a criminal complaint. And contact a lawyer about a lawsuit.

Ditto.

Yeah, a good friend once dropped his car at a dealership early one morning and walked to a nearby McDonald’s to meet his pickup ride. While waiting he sees his car driven into the McDonald’s by a young technician to buy breakfast for others at the dealership.
My friend flipped out and went with the kid back to the dealership and then took it out on them.
So one never really knows what happens when you leave your car.

Someone at the shop I use took my car to the local Sonic for food. I know because the bill was still in the car when I picked it up. I know they have to drive it after repairs (trans fluid change), but this is a little unsettling. When I take it back the next time, I will mention that I don’t want lunch runs in my car. BTW, I found no food mess or spent wrappers in the car, so the driver might have just been on the food run with no eating in the car.

Certain repairs require on the road testing and analysis. So they road test my car and stop by a drive in, I am ok with that, they road test my car at 100 mph, maybe if I complained about a shimmy at 100mph, damage my car, stuff happens but you better fix it.

I wouldn’t mind if during a road test they stopped by for a hamburger. Especially if they went through the drive-through window, and the wait and a long idle can turn up overheating problems that wouldn’t otherwise be noticed. This wouldn’t apply if the ride to McDonalds was 100 mph of course. But a safe drive to McDonalds as part of a road test, no problem for me.

When I worked in a dealership, we serviced the state patrol vehicles. Some of the repair orders were for problems that occurred at high speeds, like during a chase. We were expected to road test the vehicles under those same conditions to verify the repair was done correctly.

A couple of things I don’t understand.
Why the dealership did not can this guy immediately…

I also wonder if the term “mechanic” is being used a bit too loosely and maybe the guy is nothing more than a salaried lube tech.
I don’t see a real mechanic who works on flat rate spending that much time joyriding and making pit stops at an apartment. That would be denting the paycheck too much.

If I approach the discussion the right way, the shop won’t be offended. I just want to make sure they don’t eat in the car. I’m not looking for free repairs to make up for it, just a little understanding about my specific concerns.

@jtsanders

But even if the mechanic only uses the car to make the burger run, without actually eating in the car . . . there’s a very good chance the smell will still be in the car when it gets picked up

When I was at the dealership, this scenario sometimes occurred, and some of the customers weren’t exactly thrilled about it, despite the fact that the interior was immaculately clean

There’s another reason to discourage/forbid burger runs . . . accidents and incidents

Here are two scenarios, and the both happened to the same guy

He got in an accident in the jack in the box drive-through. He rearended the car in front of him

He was forced to slam on the brakes, when a bum ran across the street, causing him to spill his super big gulp onto the carpeting