Mechanic is requiring that I be physically present at his shop!

this problem has been solved

I thought your transmission was at another shop waiting for parts?

Yes, probably needs you to sign some paperwork releasing him from any damages, and that everything has been returned to you.

Physically go there and pick it up.

2 Likes

You have a bill to settle with that shop. There is labor and a sublet charge by the transmission rebuilder that must be paid, you are not getting your deposit back, that money is spent.

It is going to cost you a lot of money to reassemble this car because of all of the parts left behind, this car has scrap value now.

1 Like

Legally , who knows . What you should do is go and get this over with . The next time you buy a vehicle get the cheapest thing new that you can afford with a warranty .

1 Like

If you have a bad feeling about being present, dont go alone…bring a friend with you. He is just basically salty and wants to give you a long story about how hard he has worked thus far and now has nothing to show for it or something like that. I highly doubt he means you harm…but if you have any doubts, bring a friend and appraise said friend about whats going on. Both your phones have cameras.

I wouldn’t sweat it much…just go over and end this. Steele yourself against any sob stories and or pleas for some kind of compensation in light of his failed efforts etc… My Spidey senses detect a sob story…

5 Likes

From the sound of the other thread, the mechanic’s hands are tied. It’s the transmission shop that kept sending wrong parts. That’s not this mechanic’s fault. OP seems to want to spend $25,000 on unfocused panic in order to avoid $20,000 to have the dealership replace the transmission, which is apparently an option that OP specifically chose not to pursue.

OP bought an uncommon, unreliable car from a car company that’s famous for having high-maintenance, high-repair-cost, easily-broken vehicles, and is now angry that his uncommon, unreliable car has broken and is difficult and expensive to fix. While BMW should be flogged for turning out crap like this in the 21st century, OP’s hands are not clean, because there’s plenty of information out there on what BMWs will do to your wallet, and how you need to have a nice, fat one before you buy one. And that’s for the normal cars - get something wonky like OP did and you can expect even more expense and even more difficulty getting it repaired.

The mechanic isn’t being “salty” (why are you using a word that my teenager niece won’t stop using? :wink: ) he’s protecting himself. Customers who behave like OP has described often watch Judge Judy and think they can sue the world into compliance with their wishes, even when their wishes can’t come true.

This mechanic is at this point assuming a lawsuit is coming, and he’s limiting his liability. That’s not salty, that’s smart.

10 Likes

This is a horrible idea, and you should not do this anymore.

4 Likes

When a transaction turns into a nightmare, like this one, face-to-face is the BEST way to go.

7 Likes

The mechanic who is picking up your transmission will be there with you, so go and be done with it.

1 Like

Is this the same BMW transmission saga? When the trans shop had my car for 7 weeks, I always went alone. He was big but I’m quick. I liked to see the accumulated dust first hand on my disassembled car. Sure I thought about just towing the parts out of there but persisted and he finally fixed it. Lasted less than a year before I had to have it overhauled again by a better shop. And all I was attempting to save was $200 for a trans from GM.

Yep, so either way, this is not going to end well even if eventually it’s all put together again. I suspect in 6 months there’ll be an other post on how to get the shop to fulfill their warranty.

imo the mechanic’s being reasonable to ask you to show up at the shop to conclude the transaction and sign the disclaimers & other paperwork. They might also want to personally show you some of the reasons they had problems solving the issues. If you don’t want to go I doubt you can be forced to appear at the shop. However the mechanic likely has a back-up option, to take you to court and then either you’d have to go the courtroom to defend your position else forfeit the case. I think you are better off just to go to the shop and bring a friend with you who simply observes what happens and what is said.

2 Likes

I agree with having someone else with you. Even if it is a female. Better yet, get a box of donuts. Life is short, a box of donuts is nothing.
Move on.

2 Likes

OK, I must admit I do like your assessment better @shadowfax

2 Likes

George_San_Jose1

15h

imo the mechanic’s being reasonable to ask you to show up at the shop to conclude the transaction and sign the disclaimers & other paperwork. They might also want to personally show you some of the reasons they had problems solving the issues. If you don’t want to go I doubt you can be forced to appear at the shop. However the mechanic likely has a back-up option, to take you to court and then either you’d have to go the courtroom to defend your position else forfeit the case. I think you are better off just to go to the shop and bring a friend with you who simply observes what happens and what is said.

100% agree with this post.

Why is it you don’t want to go there to get your deposit and transmission? Asking you to personally come get them doesn’t strike me as bad behavior by itself.

First, you should never take legal advice from strangers online. This is a car forum, not a legal forum.

Second, being hostile and disrespectful is not a crime. It’s bad manners, but something tells me the hostility and disrespect has been flowing both ways.

Lastly, the lesson you’ve learned is not to do business with this person again, but he deserves to be paid for whatever work he did.

I’m sure the business owner agrees with that statement.

From what I can tell, It’s been flowing in one direction only. From the OP to the business.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at the previous thread on this “saga” but it seems that this is about a BMW. From what I have seen they have a reputation as huge money pits especially as they age. Anyway my 2 cents is to go with the mechanic to pick up the trans/anything else and listen to the “salty” guy closely trying to see his viewpoint. Perhaps you can come to a common agreement with fewer ruffled feathers.

2 Likes

It’s about a hybrid BMW, possibly one that is considered exotic.

If you’re curious: Mechanic has had my car for over two months!

Yep, like that old saying if you gotta ask how much, you can’t afford it. My son likes BMW but I strongly suggested that he trade before the warranty runs out. Sometimes he listens and sometimes he doesn’t. Ha ha ha. He thought $2000 for injector service was high. $2000 is nothing. I stopped by the dealer to get some BMW oil and I felt like I should have a tie on. Kinda like the Rolls dealer that I bought my 59 VW from. Beware of any salesman wearing monogrammed shirts and gold cuff links.