Meanwhile, in Minnesota

Speaking of which…

You can discharge guns in city limits? No way we can do that here. Get outside town and with proper licensing, you can do it. There are a very few cases where hunting in residential areas are allowed here. One day each year bow hunters are allowed to harvest deer in the state park behind my house. The state licenses each one and they have to be verified experienced marksmen before they can get their license. I think they get their day in January. Other parks in the area have similar hunts.

I wish that it was just one day in my area. There are several municipal parks and protected wilderness areas in my town where bow hunting is allowed for several winter months every year, and while it is “legal” to hike in those areas during those months, I don’t think it is wise, so during those months, I have some limitations on where I hike.

From the town’s website:
WINTER BOW ONLY HUNTING – ALL LOCATIONS

Bow-hunters with Township-issued hunting permits will be permitted to hunt deer in designated hunting areas. Hunters and non-hunters (hikers, cyclists, dog-walkers, etc.) will be utilizing these open space properties simultaneously. For this reason, it is imperative that bow-hunters familiarize themselves with the locations of the trails. Hunters are strictly prohibited from aiming their bow toward a hiking trail.

It’s well publicized and signs are all over the neighborhood to stay out of the woods on hunting day.

As I said up above: the geese are smart enough to not leave town where they would be shot at.

They’re not the only smart animals.
My brother and SIL live in a gated community situated next to PA’s Delaware State Forest. Hunting is allowed seasonally in the State Forest, and when the shooting starts, the bears and deer cross over into that gated community.

And, some of them have apparently decided to stay there permanently, because when I drive to their house I typically see many groups of deer lounging on lawns, just watching the cars go by, and there are frequent bear sightings in the community. One guy’s garage door was torn-down by a bear that apparently smelled the sacks of dog kibble that were stored inside the garage.

Heh heh need a dog. Last year we were working on branches in the yard and three deer just lounging in the neighbors yard. Don’t remember where but recently a person was attacked by a bear just out checking the mail box. A dangerous world we live in.

I even found it was better to stay off the golf course near an open hunting area, after hearing buckshot rain down on the leaves and thinking how much I probbly look like a deer dragging my cart behind me, and a guy dressed in orange was shot at couse they thought he was a deer, boy did he holler at them! Stupid drivers, stupid people everywhere!

We have a state Park in my state that was taken over by deer. The deer seemed to know that they were safe in the park since hunting wasn’t allowed. The deer were ruining the vegetation.
One proposal was to allow hunters to thin the herd of deer, but there was a loud outcry of shooting the deer. A proposal was made an accepted to bring bears into the park to scare off the deer. It didn’t work. The deer overpowered the bears by three touchdowns.

1 Like

I’m a child of the space age. I still listen almost every week to the Apollo 13 Lunar Lander descent conversation between the astronauts and Houston. I nearly had a nervous attack when they said “tilting to the right a little” just before touchdown with less than 30 second of fuel left, when I heard it the first time, live in 1969 … lol … San Jose is a better place to live for those interested in science and technology. San Jose has mountains and streams nearby too, you just don’t live in those areas, but are free to use them for hiking and biking, which I do all the time, and the climate is a lot milder so can do that pretty much 12 months of the year.

The biggest problem w/San Jose is that the culture here is becoming increasingly rude and inconsiderate, and the politicians, almost gestapo-like in their insistence everyone adhere to their pecadillos. For example we have a water shortage. Common sense says everyone is given an allotment, and no problem as long a you stay within the allotment. The penalty, if you go over your allotment, you pay through the nose. This way everyone can decide for themselves the best way to conserve water. If you want to wash your car, you’ll have to skip a shower. If you want to water your garden, you’ll have to use less water brushing your teeth, etc.

San Jose politician’s gestapo-like policy on the other hand, irrespective of how much water you use, it is still illegal to wash your car, and you must water your lawn and garden only on certain days. If you fail in any way to follow their policy and get caught by a drive-by gov’t watcher, or neighbor reports you, you’ll get a big fine and possibly a misdemeanor conviction. That’s the problem with San Jose, not lack of streams for recreational use. .

As a middle-school age kid in Colorado I’d come home from school, have a snack, grab my shotgun, and go out the door to see if I could shoot some doves for dinner. Small bedroom town, lots of neighborhoods & orchards. I’m extremely cautious around guns, so never had any safety problems, but I’m not a very accurate shot. The doves were pretty safe with me holding the shotgun … lol …

Even older, post high school, after I purchased my truck, wherever I went I’d usually have two guns in the gun-rack in the truck’s rear window.

As you might expect I left my guns in Colorado when I moved to Calif.

That’s a shame. California is where you really need them. I don’t remember ever shooting in the city limits though. I’d do the same thing after school but just a short walk to the woods.

Not sure what you mean. I’ve never felt I needed any guns here in San Jose. Never needed guns any place I’ve lived. Just a hobby is all. I left them in Colorado b/c if a gun is ever fired here (except perhaps on a shooting range) there’s gonna be trouble. In Colorado, if I had some spare time I’d often stop along side the road in an area with no people around and set up some cans and bottles on the side of a hill, target practice.

Why is it that people who like to preach to others never hear god when he/she is speaking to them, like this wingnut.

Can’t say for the rest of the country but for parts of the Chesapeake geese have been a Godsend.
Many years ago geese were overhunted with “Market Guns” (small cannons) and farming left little waste so the flocks began to disappear but things changed.

Today, between the income from Hides, Guides, Motel Reservations, Restaurants, Duck/Goose Cleaners, Decoys sellers, Dog breeders, Artists and the sale of every other sort of Duck/Goose knicknack I think part of the state would economically turn turtle.

So I welome all of you to come on down and shoot as many ducks/geese as you possibly (legally) can while your loved one is getting the Spa Treatment at the resort and dining at our great restaurants, with the comfort that this has sent more than a few of our kids to our Flagship university.